Task Tracker - Distribute Gadgeteer modules via Nuget instead of inside SDK releases

I just posted Distribute Gadgeteer modules via Nuget instead of inside SDK releases on Task Tracker. Feel free to discuss and make suggestions here.

1 Like

Good idea.

I took a screenshot of your post, just so I can refer to it later :wink:

I am a straight shooter - no offence. But I try to be fair.

This wasn’t my idea, someone else brought it up at one point (Ian?). I just thought of it and figured it ought to go into the task tracker.

I have just created an account on NuGet and will upload my modules SDK there.

Not sure how well this would work for schools. Typically instructors want everything available in one installer.

Yes. Gadgeteer Kit installer.

Yep! I’ve been pushing for this for years. I think Gadgeteer integration has to be refactored for this to work, though. I don’t know if there’s a way to install toolbox plugins via Nuget. Maybe there is…

Most everyone that uses VS regularly is already familiar with Nuget. So, this shouldn’t be a problem. Additionally, a Nuget script could be created that installs all the latest drivers from all manufacturers at once even those that aren’t currently included in the current main SDK. Or they could just install the modules to the toolbar that they actually have in the class. I think educators would love this solution.

The great thing about Nuget is that things no longer require an install… there’s no “install”, only “add to the solution”. Packaging is a cinch, distribution is easy, the bandwidth is (optionally) Microsoft’s, discovery is simple, updating is trivial.

For my R2 project, this is the route I have started to take with the custom modules. It is easier than an installer as it can notify you when you are out of date. I run it off a private nuget server at the moment.

An R2 is on my ever expanding list of projects I’d like to do, but likely will never get to. Another item from that universe would be a mouse droid.

How’s your R2 project going?

Just took my 1st droid apart and am in the process of making the new “uber” R2 2.0. He will have a custom 2-3-2 mechanism that is currently in the prototype stage, and every gadget I can fit in him.I am prepping him new Fez Raptor brain now and hook in up to the 2-3-2. I have been waiting for the Raptor to come out for some time. :slight_smile: Now I have a bunch of other stuff I need to get to finish making the custom controller for him. Building an R2 is a big task to take, but is very rewarding. I mainly do hospital, charity, and LFL events in my area. Birthday parties are a little hard to do with doors and stairs. Next up on the list is to finish the Ghostbuster’s Proton pack and Jawa costumes… for the little ones… yea… for them… not to display next to R2. 8) Then to start on Wall-E, he will also be running .NETMF.

I have some updates on my blog if you want to see. send me an email an I can let you see some of the private 2-3-2 test stuff.

http://www.gotastromech.com/blog

I have been pushing .NETMF, specifically to here, in the build group as I truly think it is the best platform to get people into the electronics side of things. A lot of what I have seen over the years is more people looking to just have things given to them and plug it in and it works, never mind fixing it when things don’t work.

1 Like

@ Samurai - That’s a great looking R2. A local friend, Chris Lee (not related), is an R2 builder. Do you know him? We’ve done some events together and I just love hanging out with R2. Its so fun to watch him move around and interact with folks.

Very cool! What metal are you using? Aluminum? Are you going to use the Raptor to make him autonomous? (sorry for the barrage of questions :slight_smile: )

OP - sorry for taking this off topic.

Yep, I know Chris, steampunk right? He comes down here to DragonCon. He also worked witht he MiniMakerFaire up there. I have been doing the one here in Atlanta since it started, except this year.

Taking R2 out is like being with a rockstar. The crowds and excitement. It can be hard to get to point B from point A has you are always asked to take pictures.

Yes the Raptor is for pretty much every primary system as it is in the body. I have a smaller board cerberus in the dome and another one on the wireless controller. A “coprocessing” PC is sometimes used, mainly for voice recognition and some image processing. The PC isn’t needed for operations. AI, I have a neural net AI I have been playing with for years and trying to incorporate it in R2 using the PC. autonomous functions are limited to non mobility operations and in non crowed environments.

R2 1.0 was all metal, mainly aluminum. R2 2.0 will be also. He is getting a new frame… well pretty much a complete rebuild, only 5%-10% is from 1.0.

Sorry for the off topic stuff. We can continue here if you want: https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=3584

[quote=“Samurai”]
Yep, I know Chris, steampunk right? He comes down here to DragonCon. He also worked witht he MiniMakerFaire up there. I have been doing the one here in Atlanta since it started, except this year.[/quote]

Yep, that’s him. Great guy.

Distribute Gadgeteer modules via Nuget instead of inside SDK releases was updated.

Status went from Proposed to Closed.