Sumovore (robot kit) connected to Gadgeteer?

My son is picking up a Sumovore kit (Solarbotics Sumovore Mini-Sumo - Solarbotics Ltd.) Of course, I didn’t want him messing around with that PIC, Arduino/AVR or BasicStamp nonsense :wink:

Does anyone know of a project to attach one of these to the Gadgeteer platform? They sell an Arduino shield adapter so the IO can’t be that complicated. I picked up the Arduino board as a starting point and may see about wiring it up to Gadgeteer. If that works, a real board would probably be cool.

Looking at the data sheet on the Basic Stamp ‘brain’, (http://content.solarbotics.com/products/datasheets/sumovore_bs2_brainboard.pdf ) it seems like the interface is mostly digital IOs for edge sensors, motor speed/direction, IR sensors and LEDs.

Thoughts?

-Andrej

Andrej, welcome back, it’s been a while since we’ve seen you.

Fez Mini was designed as a drop-in replacement for Basic Stamp, so that’s an option; otherwise I’d do like you have and leverage the Arduino board and an Arduino-based (non Gadgeteer) board, perhaps you can tie the protshield for Gadgeteer into this, or perhaps Cerbduino will be a good starter point when it lands? I personally would probably suggest you build your own Gadgeteer “shield” that either goes directly into the BS socket or that goes into the Arduino board that goes into the BS socket. Whip one up in Eagle and send to Laen quick :wink:

It’s good to be back! I haven’t moved out of the .NETMF world, just working on some UAV/FPV projects that need real-timish processing loops so I’m slinging ARM C code mostly. I do miss the productivity of .NETMF and am looking at using it for my next project. I’ll have a lot of questions here when I do because I may end up hosting the .NETMF in that project.

On the Sumovore, yeah, that was what I was thinking. The Arduino board is the closest thing they sell to a prototype board so I’ll easily rewire that into one or two Gadgeteer PIO sockets. If that all works, an hour in Eagle is all it should take to make it real.

I’d prefer to use Gadgeteer over the Arduino or Basic Stamp form-factor devices because there are a ton of easy expansion options and the it’s much cleaner than stacking Arduino shields.

-Andrej