STM is giving away F3 Discovery again

If you don’t have one from previous giveaway here is your chance:

1 Like

Thanks! Are there any free toolchains supported?

They list these, but I have no idea about them:

• IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM (EWARM) toolchain v6.40.3
  • RealView Microcontroller Development Kit (MDK-ARM) toolchain -v4.60
  • Atollic TrueSTUDIO STM32 (TrueSTUDIO) toolchain v3.2.0
  • TASKING VX-toolset for ARM Cortex-M v4.3r1

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking into bare metal stm32 setups on and off. I am definitely going to get one of these boards.

@ mhectorgato - I use CooCox CoIDE with GCC. I use it with the STM32F4Discovery and the STM32F0Discovery, I have even used it to write some custom code for the DL40. It is very nice for the price - FREE!

http://www.coocox.org/

I use Eclipse+Yagarto, and OpenOCD to debug (this is on the STM32F4Discovery board). I have an F0Discovery inbound (should be here today) that ought to work with the same setup.

If you’re looking to set that up, I recommend this blog entry: Marcelo Jo's blog: STM32F0 discovery + GCC + Eclipse + OpenOCD + Ubuntu - Part II

That’s for the F0, but essentially all of it is the same for the F4, and the F3. The only really hard part is the startup code (I like mine in C, not assembly) and the linker script (these range from trivial to very complex, and very simple ones don’t work for C++).

Yep, GCC with whatever IDE or command line works great.

Note that in my (practically nonexistent) experience, the STM32 chips, while very flexible and very powerful, tend to be more complex than offerings from, for example, NXP. The big plus is that toolchains, peripherals, code, and everything else is very consistent among different chips in the line.

Just spent the day in a seminar put on by ST on the STM32F3. Walked away with a STM32F3 Discovery as part of the presentation.
Surely a great way to get your hands on the board, but more than that, great networking tool and lots of useful info.
Thanks ST.