ST7565 help

Hello this is my first post and was invited.
I own a netduino but our community is useless so I wanted help on interacing my netduino 2(.net mf 4.2) with my LCD powered with a st7565 driver. It doesn’t work, my info here:To Chris Walker - Netduino 2 (and Netduino 1) - Netduino Forums
I think the driver doesn’t play nice with a newer version.
I found these drivers and would like help getting these to work with my Netduino 2 : https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/search?q=st7565

Thanks for the welcome! :slight_smile:

welcome !

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/codeshare/entry/214 is probably the simplest driver to look at. Just looking at it, the driver doesn’t use too much GHI specific so you shouldn’t have too many conversion woes. Give it a try ? (the only GHI specific things are the fez pin constructor variant; you could just leave it out)

2 Likes

@ david98xp - Welcome! glad you made it.

2 Likes

@ david98xp - Welcome!

If you take the driver from @ godfroi that @ Brett has pointed out and remove the constructor that uses Fez pins enumeration (remove the using statement as well), then you should be able to use it as is. Unless something is wrong with SPI on your N2/firmware.

2 Likes

Right and as for writing the text, how does the syntax work for the micro framework. Sorry this my first project.

You’d use the public methods in that class, specifically PRINT().

public void Print(int x, int y, char chr);
public void Print(int x, int y, string str);

It’s probably worth doing some “basics” stuff about the C# language - the support link in the top bar has some good info to start you off.

2 Likes

@ Brett - :frowning:
Eh I had bad luck. I think I ported a good chunk but the part of assigning SPI pins gots me as Fabien’s syntax was very different to this “text only” driver.

You say this is a simple driver. I obviously have to master this project to continue my adventures in .net mf.

so SPI shouldn’t be hard. netmf (not the GHI or Netduino ports) support SPI, so you should only need to use “SPI1” channel and figure out what physical pins that is.

http://wiki.netduino.com/SPI.ashx does that help you at all ?

1 Like

@ Brett - :’(
Really sorry Brett. I’m lost. I HAVE to get this working but I really appreciate your help mate.
I’m sorry to be time consuming on you but could you write me a simple setup example for me to study? That’s actually how I learn best.

Thanks.

Is this a university assignment ? I don’t do homework unless there’s a transfer of coffee involved :wink:

I don’t have a Netduino, and people here aren’t guaranteed to have one, so you might struggle getting someone oto write this up and “just work”. Can you tell us what you’re not able to do ? What ARE you able to do ? Have you been through the “blink a LED” examples and stuff like that ?

@ Brett -
This isn’t I uni project, just as a hobby.
I easily did the blinky tests. My old code after a lot of work only results in a blank screen with a white backlight. I’d share my link with you from the netduino forums.

hey, I see from the Netduino forums you’re in Wellington, NZ. I’m in Sydney AU. I also see you’re 14, so it’s not a uni assignment unless you’re a real smart cookie and got an early place - and good on you if you are :wink:

Anyway, I had a quick look on your onedrive. My first comment is I reckon your GND wire isn’t soldered properly, and I’d re-solder that. The R- wire also has a bit of a bulge on the solder so you might want to clean the soldering iron tip and then hit it with the iron and have it reflow and take up some of the solder onto the tip, just to clean it up.

Can you tell us if you have access to a multimeter ? That might help troubleshoot the issue - I’d first forget the driver, and start simple by toggling a pin and measuring each signal on the LCD.

From there, I can’t comment on the Netduino helper code (I didn’t know where to start diving into the folder structure !) But I honestly think the initial problem you’re having is wiring. Lets get past that bit and then talk software.

PS: I’ll be online for the next few hours and will check back to see if you’ve updated things here

1 Like

@ david98xp - Can you show us your test application code?

1 Like

@ Brett -
@ Architect-

Right High School starts on thursday so I’m expecting to get a chance in the workshop and maybe have the it checked by Tuesday.

If you wanna see my code go into the samples folder>Adafruit7565>then the Adafruit7552 project. in onedrive.

@ david98xp - I have looked at the schematic of the Netduino 2 and it looks like SPI2 is exposed on D11,12,13 pins not SPI1.

But the netduino helper driver that you are using is trying SPI1 channel by default. That is the first thing I have noticed. There may be some other issues.

1 Like

also it might be better if you create a SMALL test app and post the code HERE. If you want to make it easy on people to help you, you’ll need to help us :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ Architect -
@ Brett -
Very well I’m hosting a new project on my Onedrive: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Feel free to dive deep and fiddle with the code. Also cheers Architect for mentioning the SPI :wink:

Bloody Chris Walker, what part of “backwards comparability” do people not understand?!?

Anyway I’ll continue adding some elbow grease.

Also…I’m going to try just tweaking Fabien’s driver here first :slight_smile:

@ Architect - http://www.netduino.com/netduino2/schematic.pdf
If I’m reading the schematic right, there’s no output of SPI1 so I I were to force the driver on 2 I would…

Managed SPI enumeration maps hardware SPI pins to each value in the enumeration. D11,12,13 are mapped to managed SPI2.

1 Like