Spider won't deploy AGAIN ! is this going to get any better?

Ok then now answer my question about QFE2 please.

Just did…
You were a bit fast for me there LOL

I am out of ideas then.

me too…
i uninstalled some of the KB’s windows update installed on 8/19/2012 and will reboot my system and report back later…

thanks for trying :wink:

OK, so my next angle would be “it’s software” and I’d build up a new VM with Win7 on it and set up VS and the two SDKs and test again. The one thing that’s not easy to update is the USB device driver, perhaps that’s somehow got corrupted when your woes started, but it still works enough to doMFDeploy etc.

One more thought. Perhaps it’s flash write cycles? You’re a developer, perhaps you do a lot of deployments and that’s causing an issue? Has your Spider had a hard life?

I suspected that much… And I think something is causing vs2010 to fail…( i’m positively sure it’s USB related)
I did notice that vs2010 deploys things a bit different then how MFDeploy does… But with 4.2 about to release tomorrow I think I’ll give that a try first to make sure my spider still have life in it, once that’s established I’ll try 4.1 again…
Up til now I havn’t read about anyone driving their spider to alzheimer’s. and I hope it won’t be me to go down in history for doing so…

@ Jay Jay - How is the new firmware going? Can you deploy again?

Thanks for checking in…

unfortunately no… :frowning:
the same thing… only this time after it reboots the spider it take a little longer for windows to make the ding sound and then VS2010 seems locked until it give the hardware error…

i tried the Cerberus. updated the firmware and this happened:
the Ethernet firmware wouldn’t work meaning… after i Deployed it using MFDeploy it ran the chk sig passed erased and updated and chk sig passed but when it rebooted i got unrecognized device error in windows tried to reset the same thing…
so when i tried the NON-Ethernet firmware it worked fine… and deployed fine in VS2010 …

so now i’m moving to the Hydra and going through the firmware updates which is taking a long time to complete…Analyzing phase…
for some odd reason it keeps Analyzing and restarting at Analyzing again… its taking longer than a minute …

And you are trying to deploy a brand new empty application now?

yep…
i opened VS2010 removed all apps from the list and clicked create new project…
C# >> Gadgeteer …

when it opened the spider was already selected… click on deploy…

and got the error…

I hope your hardware is still under warranty because there is something wrong with that. You should send it back I guess.

as soon as it heard you say that… it decided to finally deploy… YAYyyyyyyyy

not sure what’s going on here but here is what i did… after trying to update the HYDRA which took over 4 minutes analyzing …
i opened VS2010 deployed a new app to Hydra and it worked… unplugged it and plugged in the spider and deployed the same app and it worked… re-deployed and it worked again…
this time i used the DP Module with BOTH USB and Power Jack (i think this is the reason) instead of the SD… i have another SD around i will try that and see what happens… even-though i tried them all at one point and they all failed…

I’ll keep you posted…

thanks.

put back the SD and it deploys… so finally it is back…

I should have said that earlier. Your boards don’t like traveling as it seems! Glad you got then back. :slight_smile:

Hello guys,
I think i found out why VS2010 doesn’t like to deploy my Projects and i would really appreciate if anyone can try this and confirm the issue…

Basically if you create a new Project name it something like this:

test.myProject42 and put it in a folder called test\myProject42 build and try to deploy…

i’m got into the habit of naming my project based on the Folder structure of where they live and i think this is what’s breaking the deployment causing the lockup of the board…

so if let’s say i have a solution with multiple project and i create a main folder for the solution and put each project in a sub folder based on the exact name of the project using the dots as i go deeper in the folder structure it causes the issue.

i hope my steps are easy to understand and reproduce…

SO now I’m back to zero with my spider LOL

@ Jay Jay - Well I was experiencing the same with 4.1 (no news for 4.2 yet). Since the last few days, I needed to press the reset button a lot to get it deployed on the EMX.

Cleaning the solution didn’t work, reflashing tinybooter and firmware didn’t work. The only thing that worked was to create a new project from ground up (with same source files). After some hours, the problem came back. Recreating the project was again the only solution… I even manually removed obj and bin directories.

Next time it happens I will make a copy of the newly created project, so I can do a WinMerge once it gets bad.

Weird behavior.

Hi guys,
i found something new…
Latest Beta 4.2 firmware on a SPIDER…

If i reference SYSTEM it won’t deploy but if i remove SYSTEM from the reference it deploys… this is on a new Project and the same exact project adding the reference i get hardware error removing the reference and hit deploy it deploys…

WON"T Deploy with References:
Microsoft.SPOT.Native
mscolib
system

will deploy with References:
Microsoft.SPOT.Native
mscolib

please try it and let me know…

the question is WHY???

thanks.

More info:
it looks like it a size issue if sort, and i hope someone can explain this to me…
so when i removed System.dll the size of the class became 212 bytes and deployed right away…

now if i add System.dll or Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware for example the size grows to (14432 bytes) and won’t deploy… so it is not specific to a certain dll but more of the size… now remember this is a brand new simple Plan vanilla class… with no code whatsoever…

i hope the experts out there can tell us what is going on…

Edit:

here is the BUILD Debug info:

An error has occurred: please check your hardware.
Request failed
Source: Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger
Stack : 
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.Request.Wait() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 761
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.SyncMessage(UInt32 cmd, UInt32 flags, Object payload, Int32 retries, Int32 timeout) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 1993
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.WriteMemory(UInt32 address, Byte[] buf, Int32 offset, Int32 length) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 2204
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.Deployment_Execute_Incremental(ArrayList assemblies, MessageHandler mh) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 3778
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.Deployment_Execute(ArrayList assemblies, Boolean fRebootAfterDeploy, MessageHandler mh) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 3857
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.Deploy() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 949
   at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsDeployableProjectCfg.StartDeploy>b__0() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 634
========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

and BTW i do not have c:\depot\ on my system so whatever it’s looking for above it is not there…

thanks.

The c:\depot is just where the Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger assembly was compiled from, so ignore that, it’s a red hearing to your problem.

I’m having the same issue. Upgraded to the new SDK. Flashed my Cerbuino Bee. Deployed once. This code doesn’t do anything. Just an empty project.

Second time I try to deploy I get this;

An error has occurred: please check your hardware.
Request failed
Source: Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger
Stack :
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.Request.Wait() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 761
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.SyncMessage(UInt32 cmd, UInt32 flags, Object payload, Int32 retries, Int32 timeout) in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 1993
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.GetAssemblies() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 2928
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.Engine.ResolveAllAssemblies() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\Debugger\Engine.cs:line 2941
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.Deploy() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 869
at Microsoft.SPOT.Debugger.VsProjectFlavorCfg.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsDeployableProjectCfg.StartDeploy>b__0() in c:\depot\current\CLIENT_V4_2\Framework\CorDebug\VsProjectFlavorCfg.cs:line 634
========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Rebooted, reconnected, hit the reset button and all the standard tricks. Nothing works. This was a brand new board, never deployed to it before.

Ugh.