Spider won't deploy AGAIN ! is this going to get any better?

We flashed a clean firmware to an EMX development system, deployed an application, then erased a board 6 times. We were able to deploy to the device successfully on the first try. Do you have any extra steps to repro?

Thanks for confirming the issue, my system runs 24/7, my windowsXp 64bit doesnā€™t hibernate the function is disabledā€¦ But it does go to sleep sometimesā€¦ And once i hit the issue even A restart wonā€™t cure it unless I employ the reset trickā€¦so this must be a USB driver and EmX issueā€¦ Something goes wrong on both endsā€¦

Gus: thanks for creating the issue, does that mean youā€™ve experienced the issue as well and not able to find the cause, without MS help? Well you should have just said soā€¦ Now weā€™re doomed :frowning: until 4.3 is outā€¦

Voted. Voted. Voted.

@ WouterH - I reboot my machine (Win7 64-bit) at about the same schedule. I had to turn off the hibernate feature 3 or 4 weeks ago because I was having a similar problem with my keyboard. How long have you had this issue? I wonder if maybe there was an OS patch that came out recently thatā€™s causing additional USB issues. I havenā€™t spent any additional time on it since Iā€™ll be rebuilding the machine soon when Win8 comes out.

Can someone explain to me how the firmware gets corrupted by deploying an app? It seems that this area should be totally sandboxed off from that process and this not possible? Until about the time we started testing 4.2, I rarely had this issue. Now it seems that Iā€™m re-deploying firmware a couple times a week or more.

These issues were created months ago. We see room for improvements as explained on the issue reports but there is no ā€œI spent 8 hours and it doesā€™t workā€ report :slight_smile:

I used a tool called Advanced USB Port Monitor to help see where and why it stops when i deploy from VS2010ā€¦ and here are the results of the error. one thing i noticed it always stops at the same exact spotā€¦ at least that what i think.
i hope you have an expert in USB Driver gibberish that can make sense of thisā€¦

as is stands i still canā€™t deployā€¦ did everything from reboot to reflash to starting a new app.

the trial version of the Advanced USB Port Monitor can be downloaded from here:

if you have another tool that you would like me to use please let me know.
thanks.

Edit: the forum didnā€™t like the file format so here it is :
http://wiki.tinyclr.com/images/6/65/GHIUSB_Debugging_Interface.aum

@ ianlee74 - I have this issue since I switched from Win7 32bit to Win7 64bit which is about more then a year ago. Iā€™m almost sure the problem is with the NETMF 64bit driver, but I wonā€™t spent time in researching this as I now switched to SSD instead of HD and a full restart only takes 40 seconds or so :wink:

@ WouterH - 40sec - that long? :slight_smile: - yes once you go ssd you cant go back.

1 Like

Iā€™m making the jump as soon as Win8 is released and I do my next re-install. If I add two SSDs, do you think I could reboot in 20 secs? :wink:

@ ianlee74 - wellllll - a fresh install of Win8 RTM on my Slate takes 8sec to login screen and about 2sec to login - admittedly nothing much is installed but Win8 boots much faster than 7 so even with one SSD it will be honking :slight_smile:

@ ianlee74 - BIOS takes 10 seconds, starting Windows until fully functional takes 25 seconds (including entering password), shutting down completly takes 5 seconds. But we should get back on topic right?

40 seconds isnā€™t fast at all, given an ssd. I boot to 8 in something like 20, which is about what it took to get to 7.

Yes, on topic :wink:

Hello guys,
Could someone tell me why i get this in MFDeploy:

Loading Deployment Assemblies.
Attaching deployed file.
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.1.2821.0) (740 RAM - 4620 ROM - 2522 METADATA)
   AssemblyRef    =       12 bytes (       3 elements)
   TypeRef        =       76 bytes (      19 elements)
   FieldRef       =        0 bytes (       0 elements)
   MethodRef      =      112 bytes (      28 elements)
   TypeDef        =      120 bytes (      15 elements)
   FieldDef       =       72 bytes (      35 elements)
   MethodDef      =      140 bytes (      70 elements)

Attributes      =        0 bytes (       0 elements)
   TypeSpec        =        0 bytes (       0 elements)
   Resources       =        0 bytes (       0 elements)
   Resources Files =        0 bytes (       0 elements)
   Resources Data  =        0 bytes
   Strings         =      676 bytes
   Signatures      =      350 bytes
   ByteCode        =     1295 bytes

Resolving.
Link failure: some assembly references cannot be resolved!!
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.1.2821.0) needs assembly 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware' (4.1.2821.0)
Error: a3000000
Waiting for debug commands...
Created EE.
Started Hardware.
No debugger!

basically i erase my board in MFDeploy and everything looks fine i go backto VS2010 create a new Gadgeteer Project, i cahnge nothing and hit deploy, it sits there until i get check your hardware error, which forces me to hit reset to stop the debugger and get VS2010 back ā€¦ i then go back to MFDeploy i connect to the spider and hit reboot CLR and i see the above message: especaiilly this part:

Resolving.
Link failure: some assembly references cannot be resolved!!
Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (4.1.2821.0) needs assembly 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware' (4.1.2821.0)
Error: a3000000

whatā€™s causing this linking failure?

This is the device capabilities:

HalSystemInfo.halVersion:               4.1.2821.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo:            Microsoft Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rig
HalSystemInfo.oemCode:                  255
HalSystemInfo.modelCode:                0
HalSystemInfo.skuCode:                  65535
HalSystemInfo.moduleSerialNumber:       FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
HalSystemInfo.systemSerialNumber:       FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
ClrInfo.clrVersion:                     4.1.2821.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo:                  Microsoft Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rig
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion:         4.1.2821.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion:    4.1.8.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: GHI Electronics, LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate:              Dec 22 2011
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion:        410561

i really need to know how i can get VS2010 to deploy to my spider again, so any input is most welcome.

Edit: i have the GHI February 23rd package installed i uninstall everything and reverted to this stable packageā€¦ plus netmd 4.1 QFE1ā€¦
thanks.

So can you create a vanilla project and deploy that at all? Or is it just your app you canā€™t deploy?

Can you successfully update the spider using the ā€œFES Spider Updater.exeā€ tool?
Are you connecting the board to USB2 or USB3 port?
Can you try to install the latest stable release on a different computer and try there?

Oh good. So we are sure now the device is deploying fine. Your project is simply not deploying the assemblies complete.

Next time you have problems, please always check the device boot up messages. There is a huge difference between ā€œmy device wonā€™t deployā€ and ā€œdevice deploys but there ate missing assemblesā€

hI,
@ WouterH:
Yes i can update the spider just fine with the tool, i can erase the board just fine with MFDeployā€¦
this is an HP xw8200 workstation with WindowsXp 64bit, so no USB3 for sureā€¦ so Iā€™m connecting to USB 1 or 2 ā€¦i tried all ports on my system and they all have the same exact behavior.
I had the latest stable version (NOT the June one but the one before that as the June is beta) and everything was working fine until it suddenly stoppedā€¦ i uninstalled everything and reinstalled what i think is the stable version (February 23rd).

@ GUS:
the above Deployment has nothing to do with my Applicationā€¦ iā€™'ve put that aside for nowā€¦ the one above is a brand new simple Gadgeteer application with nothing but the default templateā€¦ (Changed Hydra with Spider) and hit deploy. and i get the above behaviorā€¦ so a simple Gadgeteer or vanilla application give out the above issuesā€¦ again not my applicationā€¦ so i guess Iā€™m not mistaking when i say Spider wonā€™t deploy :wink: since it wonā€™t finish the process of deployment giving me the check your hardware errorā€¦

anywayā€¦ i checked what could have been installed on my system since this started happening and i noticed a few KBā€™s were installed on 8/19/2012 and that the day i started having these issues i think. so Iā€™m uninstalling the ones itā€™ll let me remove and see what happensā€¦ if this doesnā€™t help i will reinstalled VS2010ā€¦
hopefully we will get to the bottom of this.

thanks.

[quote]@ GUS:
the above Deployment has nothing to do with my Applicationā€¦ iā€™'ve put that aside for nowā€¦ the one above is a brand new simple Gadgeteer application with nothing but the default templateā€¦ (Changed Hydra with Spider) and hit deploy. and i get the above behaviorā€¦ so a simple Gadgeteer or vanilla application give out the above issuesā€¦ again not my applicationā€¦ so i guess Iā€™m not mistaking when i say Spider wonā€™t deploy since it wonā€™t finish the process of deployment giving me the check your hardware errorā€¦[/quote]

You started a brand new application that you deployed and you get link failure!..and you have 4.1 SDK with 4.1 firmware with 4.1 setup project?

Did you install QFE2? If you did then that is your problem as we havenā€™t release QFE2 yet (coming very shortly now)

YES, YES, YES, and YES, Yes, Yesā€¦ so yes to all that aboveā€¦ :slight_smile:

NO, i installed February 23rd package, with NETMF 4.1 (QFE1) and NOT 4.2
and i do not think 4.1 has a QFE2 ā€¦