Slam

For anyone playing with SLAM…

What are you using to find the position an movement of your robot?
Encoders fail when slip occurs, GPS is wildly innacurate and INS requires a fair bit of processing power plus accurate and hence expensive sensors

So I put it to you what do most people use as a solutions

SLAM == Simultaneous localization and mapping - Wikipedia
?

Yeah I had a look at that ages ago its more of a general overview. I was looking to see what other people used.

Encoders to start. Then a acceleration sensor to help determine when slip happens. All this backed by sonic and IR sensors. I have not done a room mapper in years. When i did i used a Motorola MC68HC11 as the mcu.

Since then I guess i would choose to use roborealm/camera as my base sensor. With some sure calculation distance sensors or you can go for the gusto and get a laser range finder.

Here is another good source of information: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/Papers/pos96rep.pdf

When pondering about mobile robot navigation I tend to think that worrying about being ‘exact’ is a waste of time. I’m not very exact when navigating but I make loads of course calculations that are sort of accurate and the resulting average is pretty good. So rather then worrying about the in-exactness of each sensor I would tend to concentrate on the fusion of all the data from the various sensors and how they can be used collaboratively.