Here is what I did and the results that I get:
(1) I have a G80TH with COM1 Tx/Rx pins connected to a GHI USB-Serial Gadgeteer module. That is connected to my computer’s USB port with a mini USB cable.
(2) This shows up as a COM port on my computer.
(3) I also have a micro USB cable connected to the USB client interface of the G80TH for deployment/debugging over USB. The G80 shows up in Device Manager.
(4) Using the USB interface, and can deploy and run my application just fine.
(5) I connected the MODE pin (PE15 on the G80TH) to ground, and reset the G80. Device Manager refreshes and the G80 is not longer shown as a USB device.
(6) I open FEZ Config or MF Deploy. In FEZ Config I select the COM port in the dropdown and hit Advanced > Connect (or F5). It says:
Connecting to COM5
Failure - Device is not connected or not responding. No response from device.
If I use MFDeploy, I select the COM port and go to Target > Connect (or press F5). It says:
Connecting to COM5…Connected
But when I press Ping, I get:
(7) Resetting the G80 while supposedly connected via MFDeploy also does not show any of the output from the G80.
(8) Deploying doesn’t work either.
(9) If I close FEZ Config / MFDeploy and connect to the serial port at 115200 baud with Tera Term, I can reset the G80 and see:
G80, Build Date:
Mar 28 2016 08:14:04
ARM Compiler version 410713
TinyCLR (Build 18.104.22.168)
MSdbgV1R¨½ cWCreate TS.
Loading start at 80826d4, end 80a8660
Assembly: mscorlib (22.214.171.124) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Native (126.96.36.199) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware (188.8.131.52) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics (184.108.40.206) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.TinyCore (220.127.116.11) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.IO (18.104.22.168) Assembly: System.IO (22.214.171.124) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.Usb (126.96.36.199) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.SerialPort (188.8.131.52) Assembly: Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.PWM (184.108.40.206) Loading Deployment Assemblies.
Attaching deployed file.
So the G80 is working, pulling MODE low is working, the virtual COM port is working, the USB cable is working, the FTDI chip is working, etc. I think I’ve narrowed it down to FEZ Config / MFDeploy not working.