SCM20260D J1708 Stop Timing

Hi,

I am using TinyCLR on an SCM20260D in order to read a J1708 data stream. The J1708 protocol marks an end of message by having a certain number of bits of inactivity. In this case my baud rate is 9600 and the system uses 3 bits of inactivity to mark the end of a message, so the timing works out to 312.5 microseconds of inactivity. Is there any way to set a timer that hits after this time elapses or a way count inactive bits in order to separate my messages, as currently I am using a 1 ms timeout which is too long and results in messages being clumped together.

Maybe use signal capture? And then decode the message using software?

Gus, do we have access to any of the CPU timers?

The normal way I do this with C/C++ is to reset the timer every time a byte is received and set a flag when it times out, indicating a msg has arrived and ready to be decoded. This is also how Modbus works. The flag is checked in a state machine that I implement in the main code loop.

Timer might work. We can also implement something special for this. Let’s discuss directly to find best options.

A lot of my work is with Microchip processors so usually PIC18 or PIC32, and I often use the same tactic. The issue is that I don’t know if TinyCLR has any access to hardware timers that I could use, just millisecond based timer objects or thread sleep functions.

I did think of that, but haven’t had time to test it. It would, however, be much easier if I had some way to access hardware timers, or simply a way to support microsecond based timers or thread.sleep functions.

I will also note that in my title I was mistaken, I am actually using a SCM20260E in case that makes any difference.