Rpi4 Module is out

I developed a Pi based system which ran for six years without requiring any attention. No admin, and no updates.

It was shutdown when it was no longer needed.

It was developed using C# and Mono.

Pi is very good for systems requiring a lot of communications.

But, in the end, it is the crafts person not the tool.

BTW, I have a lot more GHI stuff running than Pi.

Just to throw some more gas on the fire:
https://www.seeedstudio.com/ROCK-PI-S-Mini-Computer-with-Rockchip-RK3308-512MB-RAM-4Gb-NAND-Flash-p-4282.html
$13 for a device that could potentially run the full .Net Framework, yet still no analogue inputs.

Is everyone afraid to compete with GHI :wink:

Meh, i dont even see smoke… :yum:

We are getting bored here. We need some serious contenders :wink:

2 Likes

In one of my small projects I used RPI3 + Qt to make several network connected touch display + barcode scanner machine. One big issue was the power could be cut / brownout at any time (solar + battery powered). It took me a lot time to make an upgradable read only Linux file system to fight filesystem corruption. Not a fun experience. I wish it could be as straight forward like the TinyCLR devices.

1 Like

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Rock-Pi-X-Model-B-4GB-p-4277.html
$75 dollars for a device that runs windows, still no Analogue, and needs 12V to operate. No need for VSCode either, since it could just run Visual Studio :wink:

Perhaps SitCore should be a USB dongle that plugs into other boards? (not the dev board but the end product boards)

cheap board with expensive licensee
Windows Os cost a lot for use for embbedded too

@valon_hoti_gmail_com, I don’t think its the embedded version. It’s a normal Windows 10, that I can purchase for $15 dollars. They say it comes with it, so perhaps Microsoft is giving them some sort of concession.

Windows 10 here is $139 for the home version and $199 for the full version. Those are the prices here in Indonesia. Is your $15 a proper legal copy at that price? I can get illegal copies here for $5 but you can’t activate it.

Yea, it activated. I’m using it now.

Activated yes, but a legitimate licensed copy? I think our going rate for the retail home version is $139. Resale of OEM versions is not legit (unless pre-installed and bundled with the mainboard hardware, which if included with this board is probably what they are selling).

Bottom line is that if you buy OEM, or ‘recycled’ activation keys, you’re not getting a legit copy of Windows. It may run, but potentially not fully, correctly, or forever.

Maybe it’s education version Windows 10, which is at $15 each.

True, a legitimately acquired edu license might be around that price.

That would explain the 1 per credit card limit.

So not much use for commercial projects, so the additional cost of $139 or $199 stands, making this an expensive board. Linux really does make sense when it comes to embedded devices albeit a little more work when it comes to software development although that seems to be changing. Still a long way off when it comes to drag and drop development that we are used to with Windows. I know we can do things like Mono on Linux but having to setup a monitor and keyboard etc to develop on it, is not ideal. I prefer the Android or SITcore way of doing things via USB debugging. Cross compiling and debugging on the target is really the best way for me with only 1 desktop PC setup required.

@Dave, We no longer use Mono, we use the full .NET Framework, for Windows, Mac and Linux. Only WPF remains to be ported to the other systems. Remote debugging works as well, so no need to install an IDE on the target system. All development can take place on Windows.

Yes, I think the game changes a bit with .net 6 with MAUI. The current .net 5 is interesting, but without a GUI story, it’s still not really an x-plat solution for anything but web interfaces and console apps. With 6, we’ll get Xamarin forms across PC, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux with remote development, deployment and debugging from a PC, Mac, or Linux. It’s a solution I really wish I had today as I have had to resort to unmanaged code and Qt for x-plat GUI apps.

3 Likes

I had a look last night and I could not find anything on how to develop a graphical interface and run this on an ARM based board with LCD display with touch? Can this be done with .NET?

GUI, no not yet. As Mcalsyn says better to wait for .NET 6 when MAUI comes out than have to deal with partial Xamarin support.

Permit me to inject a bit of blasphemy…

For Pi development I use Xojo, formally known as Real Basic…

The IDE runs on Windows, Mac and Linux, and has full remote debugging to the Pi.

Can develop console, Desktop and standalone Web server applications. Also supports IOS and they keep saying Android is coming.

I run Remote Desktop and Samba on the PI, so Pi runs headless.

Alas, while Xojo has threads, their threading model is not preemptive, so for performance applications I use Mono.

Oh, Xojo is expensive. Although, full functionality is available for free, with the exception of building programs which run standalone.

small print < I have no relationship with Xojo besides being a customer>

----Shields Up------