RGB LED - resistor placement

I’m trying to wire up an RGB LED but experiencing some difficulties.

The RGB LED is a 10mm diffused RGB from sparkfun (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11120). It works and I have some code that cycles through various LED colors.

I’m now trying to add pull down resistors to make sure the LED is off when power is applied to the Panda II and keep the LED off until I explicitly send a command to turn it on.

Here are the pin assignments; 5 = red, 6 = green, and 10 = blue.

static PWM[] rgb = new PWM[]
                {
                    new PWM((PWM.Pin)FEZ_Pin.PWM.Di5),
                    new PWM((PWM.Pin)FEZ_Pin.PWM.Di6),
                    new PWM((PWM.Pin)FEZ_Pin.PWM.Di10)
                };

I used a few different resistors; 10 ohm, 220 ohm, and 1k ohm. The greater the resistor value, the brighter the LED (not what I was expecting). The LED didn’t light up when using the 10 ohm resistor but was brightest with the 1k.

At the moment, on my breadboard, I have a wire connected to a pin (Di5, for example) and then a column on the breadboard. For example, the wire connects Di5 with column containing the red lead on the LED. I also have a wire connecting GND with the GND lead of the LED. Last, I have a resistor in the same column containing red lead and wire from Di5, connecting to the GND column.

Where can I find a schematic / instructions / etc to make sure I’m wiring this up correctly?

Use 10k

Schematic: Pull-up resistor - Wikipedia