RETRO - Oscilloscope

I am implementing a toy oscilloscope on the GHI RETRO Game Pad, all is going pretty well but I have hit a little snag.

It appears that GHI does not maintain the MBED library integration for the mBuino, which the RETRO is based on. And using the LPC11u24, while it works, has some issues with the memory layout. This is particularly apparent when I want to create my capture buffer to so I can do some decent triggering.

Gus, is it possible for you guys to give the MBED integration a once over to get it working again?

Here is a preview video.

JSMCU - RETRO Oscilloscope

The actual project is a ES5 JS engine that I have converted to work on the STM32F4xx devices. It works quite well so far, I have improved the garbage collection and implemented Digital IO, PWM, Timers, Interrupts and UART so far, next will be SPI and I2C… I am waiting for the BrainPad v2 to be available for purchase, that is my target platform for this project.

3 Likes

Did you check on mbed? We have everything there.

Hi Gus, when creating a project using the online mbed IDE the project does not compile. It seems there have been changes to mbed that require changes to the online template for mBuino.

We haven’t changed anything. Probably mbed broke something.

Awesome project!

@taylorza

Since I Am just software developer (and just beginner hardware level proficient)
could this project work on STM32F411RET or STM32F407 Discovery (on mbed if yes what of additinals tools is needed display buttons - …) because i want to create an home oscilloscope for usage and testing it with UART - I2C and SPI only and to learn reading signal for communication between two devices.

@njbuch - Thanks

@valon_hoti_gmail_com - The STM Nucleo board in the video has a STM32F411RE processor and STM supports mbed on the nucleo boards. I am not done, but I was planning to use the buttons (5 of them) for the menu system. The screen is a ST7735 LCD, they are very cheap on ebay. A few years ago I wrote a mbed driver for this screen that supports both the RGB and BGR models, so with the buttons and that screen a STM32F411RE should do the trick. You could do an even better job with the nucleo since it has much more RAM than the LPC11u24 used on the RETRO.

1 Like