Retail packaging experiment

Do you like what you see? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ Gus - Looks cool. Available in your local RadioShack starting when?

:smiley:

@ Gus - Nice.

Only comment is that it would be cool to have the bubble for the board a little smaller, so it’s not bouncing around as much. I’d also recommend that for a retail package, having preinstalled headers might be nice.

Looks good but why plastic ?

and hope it is not like those blister packs that things like USB keys and light bulbs come in … I hate those.

Is this the Kind of packaging where it’s more likely to destroy the product before you get it out of the plastic :whistle:

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - the clamshells snap open/shut at the top

1 Like

Looks nice. I know Gary will especially like the first pic.

I disagree. One of the coolest thing about the mBuino is attaching it to your keychain and having it with you all the time. That wouldn’t work very well with headers installed. Perhaps it would be nice to include headers in the package that could be soldered on, though.

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - I wouldn’t use a populated board as an actual keychain. Too easy to have my keys accidentally knock off a component.

I’m just thinking (or wondering) that there’s a possibility that the kind of customer who’d be more likely to buy a blister-packed mBuino might be less inclined towards having to solder something just to get started. Could be wrong about that, though.

@ ianlee74, @ devhammer - I was thinking the other day to use large diameter transparent (if it exists) heat shrink tube to “wrap” mBuino. To make it keychain friendly.

Neat idea, but wouldn’t that render it largely unusable as well? Apart from blinking the LEDs anyway…

Oh it exists @ Architect … Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking

1 Like

I’ve had my mBuino on my keychain since I received it from the Kickstarter and it still looks and acts like new. I’m sure one day it will have problems but at $10, I’ll be glad to buy another one when that happens. I think its cool just to have for getting started with mBed and practice mBed/C++ programming. No extra components are required for that. There are enough built into it. If you really wanted to attach other things then it would probably work fairly well for general IO to just wrap wire onto the PTH holes.

@ Sprigo - Awesome! Thank you for pointing it out.
@ devhammer - I would carefully expose the pads I need after it is wrapped. And it should be easy to “cut out” the battery.

Really, Ian? We spent time and money trying something new and that is your first comment about it? I think I just added another name to my list! 8) :whistle:

@ Gary, I always think about you first. :wink:

2 Likes

@ ianlee74 - lol