Releasing the G120E SoM and a new price on the G120

@ Mr. John Smith - I think short as possible is recommended. I know the G120E uses the internal Ethernet so it is different than the ENC28. However in regards to the same signal wires this is the quote from the ENC28J60 that is used on other GHI boards:
"Since relatively high currents are necessary to operate
the twisted-pair interface, all wires should be kept as
short as possible. Reasonable wire widths should be
used on power wires to reduce resistive loss. If the
differential data lines cannot be kept short, they should
be routed in such a way as to have a 100ohm characteristic
impedance."
ENC28J60 data sheet, Page 7, Microchip Technologies, Inc.

(This was fresh on my mind since I just read that particular portion Saturday as I am working on a board design with the ENC28.)

@ skeller - 100Ohms so thatā€™s max 100 meters then? Also, if necessary I should ramp up the voltage to 5V and use a regulator to bring it back down to 3.3 at the jack. A simple zener should do.

@ Mr. John Smith - I donā€™t think that will work, at least not reliably.

Here is the a document from TI on design layout for a PHY:

This, I think is the PHY component on the G120E:

My guess is that even the J11D, while it works, is not a manufacture (Texas Instruments) recommend design. It probably would not stand up to rigorous EMI/RFI testing.
(I do understand the J11D was probably not designed to pass any kind of EMI/RFI testing. It was designed for the quick prototype market. I donā€™t mean to take away anything from GHI or the design of the G120E/J11D. I use them with good success.)

@ skeller - It just has to be reliable enough. Assuming I used actual ethernet cable with shielding as opposed to ribbon cable. Then for the most part all Iā€™d be doing is joining 2 Ethernet connections with a rj45 jack. Thatā€™s how I see it.

Of course Iā€™m going to have to do it to find out. Based on the spec they arenā€™t too picky about the connection between the Magnetics and the PHY.

Has the schematic of the G120E been released yet? I am getting a board designed and need it.

@ anthonys - We do not release the schematics of the SoMs. You can find the development board schematic at https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/533

I think he means footprint.

@ anthonys - Did you mean footprint? Like an Altium or Eagle footprint?

Just need to know the outputs of the g120e, footprint. The development board helps with io but where do i get the footprint dimensions etc?

Check the specifications tab.

45.75 x 39.4 x 4.4 mm

@ anthonys, as far as I can tell, the G120E is footprint compatible with the EMX so you can use this as your reference.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/128

On the G120E page there is an EMX to G120E document that gives you the pinout. This should be more than enough to create your design.

GHI
When will the 3D step models for the G120E be available along with all the other documents needed to design with it?

There are datasheets coming for all soms with full detail. Maybe this week

My wife uses the word MAYBE and that can mean neverā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any update on G120E footprints etcā€¦is the EMX have the same pinout/footprint or do i have to wait?

@ anthonys - it is the same as emx

@ Gus - same footprint but not the same pinouts i assume? eg EMX has 76 GPIO and G120E has 80

The upgrade guide under resources should be helpful https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/532