RelayISOx16 malfunction?

Hello

I work the first time active with my Relay16 module.
If it’s just connected to the Hydra and Powered by 12V it’s working perfectly fine.

But if the Relays are supposed to switch 5V I get totally random effects on the Module.
Mostly do all the relays set “on” … >.<

tried to forcibly set em to 0… they start flipping a bit.

Is my Relay module defect?
Made a video for visualisation. (sowwy for my comments >.>)

YT Video

greez evul

Can you post your code?

Interesting project!

I said don’t rely on that thing working on a long cable didn’t I :wink:

I’ll post the code in about 9h… I’m still at work.
Gonna make a shematic for better visualisation.

The relays works to 99% when they are only used without switching actual power.
If I try to switch 5V 2A it works sometimes 5 times and then they start flakering’n’stuff >.< like the power would slightly hit through the relay to the board-electronic.

Brett: Right now I use a official ~10cm GHI cable… I thought I test it with that one, before I make a long one xD

Chokaay

I made 2 versions… one with the minimal commandos (which works without the motor connected) and one that always disables all relays after use which I used in the video.

minimal one:

void secundaryWeapon()
        {
            //relay16 INFO:
            //relayISOx16.EnableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay1);
            //relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay2);
            //Relay X1 Power
            //Relay X2 and X3 off sett direction for UP

if (lvl1 == 2)
            {
                if (secundaryW_up == true)
                {
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay4);
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay5);
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay6);
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(100);
                    relayISOx16.EnableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay4);
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2000);
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay4);
                }
                if (secundaryW_dwn == true)
                {
                    relayISOx16.EnableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay5);
                    relayISOx16.EnableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay6);
                    relayISOx16.EnableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay4);
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2000);
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay5);
                    relayISOx16.DisableRelay(Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.RelayISOx16.Relays.Relay6);
                }
            }

}

In the pic you can see my electronical setup.

I made some tests. with a lamp and a smaller motor… works pretty fine.
With the bigger motor the relay start to flip around on start and end of movement.

There’s probably a peak or some inductive energy. If that’s the case… is there apossibility to avoid that?

EDIT:

Got from my friend 2 condensators and a diode… it should fix my peaks. gonna try it today or tomorrow ^.^

Nah, No chance… the RelayModule keeps flippering. Seems it’s not that stable with stuff above 1A >.< everything smaller works so far :confused:

However, today arrived my new ordered material… unter that stuff also a LoadModule.
I made a small shematic about how I wanna solve it. Ofc it only works if the X1Relays are more stable in switcheing… else I have a problem :smiley:
I would like to use a MotorDriverModule… but the last one I bought burned by 0.8A :confused:

Can someone tell me if I made the setup correct?
And if I add now my 2 Mikroswitches… do I need to edd em in the + or - line? (cuz of this SRG thingy)
I don’t wanna kill my LoadModule in the beginning -.-

greetings evul

That looks wrong. The load module will controls your relay, which in turn control the motor. Have you seen the load module documentation?

hmm… well… the load module is made up with transistors that function like a switch, right?

in the dokumentation ( https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/80/load-module ) is also a motor directly controlled with tha Load Module >.>

I just added a RelayX1 to switch direction.

NC + P2 is one direction
and
NO + P1 is the other direction

is that not correct? And the SRG I just connected like in the image shown by the documentation :smiley:

this would be my code:

void secundaryWeapon()
        {

if (lvl1 == 2)
            {
                if (secundaryW_up == true)
                {
                    this.load.P1.Write(false);

relayX2.TurnOn();  //set to NO
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(500);
                    this.load.P2.Write(true); //P2 is for UP
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2500);
                    this.load.P2.Write(false); //Turn off again
                }
                if (secundaryW_dwn == true)
                {
                    this.load.P2.Write(false);

relayX2.TurnOff();
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(500);
                    this.load.P1.Write(true);
                    System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(2500);
                    this.load.P1.Write(false);

}
            }

}

Tested it with a very small motor… it works fine… I’m just a bit scared, that the LoadModule wont hold my 2.5A for 3sek >.>

The load module controls the coil on your relay and then the mechanical switch inside your relay is what controls the motor.

You can use the load module to control a small load directly.

And by relay, I mean the relay itself, not the relay module.

Hmm, I have only 24V Relays >.< dang…
Ahh well, maybe I find a solution.

thx for info

I would still try them. I’ve found that relays will often work with much less V than they’re rated for.

You can use 24v relays. You jest need a 24v power source.

@ ianlee74 Tried it… They light up but don’t actual switch >.<
Gonna see if I can find a DC/DC changer… or 12 relays^^

@ Gus I already have 2 akkus 5V/12V in my Armor… don’t want a 3rd one just for 2 relays :smiley:

But I tested it with a 24V source and the system works

what happens when the 24V are active in the LoadModule, before the Mainboard is started?

I just had a blinking Hydra, the character display did show only weird symbols and needed to load the program 3 from the PC till it worked again >.>