Recording audio

Thanks, I will try to describe better what I meant:
I need to build s device that stores 1-8 audio inputs with selection between compressed and raw data. In addition it has to display the waveform on the LCD/TFT screen. The sampling rate is up to 8khz.
What configuration would you suggest? Can I use the Cobra or ChipworkX Module to do it? I really want to!

You can record audio using one of VLSI codec chips

Thanks, I will try to describe better what I meant:
I need to build s device that stores 1-8 audio inputs with selection between compressed and raw data. In addition it has to display the waveform on the LCD/TFT screen. The sampling rate is up to 8khz.
What configuration would you suggest? Can I use the Cobra or ChipworkX Module to do it? I really want to!

VLSI codecs have recording capability, so yes you can have multiple channels and can display the waveform.

http://www.vlsi.fi/fileadmin/datasheets/vlsi/vs1053.pdf

What you can’t do easily is convert raw data to MP3…it is easy to read MP3 and play it back but not the other way.

The vs1053b can read from a sd card connected to the vs1053b DSP. It can also encode to an OGG VORBIS file holder to the sd card and also read and decodes without going though the fez. The Fez would control the DSP and the DSP would do all the work. In mind that the vs1053b DSP has 3 different ways to function standalone mode, playback mode, and smart control mode. DSP are similar to microcontrollers. You might want to check out the mod-mp3-x board from Olimex to get familiar with their board. You could get some ideas from their information and VLSI which sells the DSP. OGG VORBIS are small just like mp3.