Recomendation for a newbie on electronics

Ok…now

1.So can I use VIN to connect the panda to a battery instead of the power connector ?

2.What happen if i’m using the power connector while having a battery connected to VIN at the same time?

Don’t take any of this as gospel…

1. Yes. I believe Vin is NOT regulated, which means it would be easy to blow up the board unless you’re sure you have nice clean power, within specs, coming in.

2. Why? Not sure if you can, but I would not try it.

[quote]What happen if i’m using the power connector while having a battery connected to VIN at the same time?
[/quote]

Look for protection diodes in the schematic.

Gospel says “check the schematic”. That way you know if things are connected the way it’s interpreted.

From the Panda scematic at [url]http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/FEZ/Panda/FEZ_Panda_sch.pdf[/url] you can see VIN has a diode to protect whatever is connected to that from an additional power source. the output is called “+12v” and goes into the 5v regulator which then outputs “+5v” which goes into the 3v3 regulator that then outputs “VCC”

If you were to connect a battery to VIN as well as have a barrel connector to a wall-wart power supply, then you have joined those two directly (the 2.1mm connector and the pin on the header are directly connected). This would be bad without taking extra precautions. I can’t tell you all the things you should do here but the answer is in the subject line of your post - since you’re a newbie, probably don’t go there :slight_smile:

Thanks, now i understand that pin better and also you’re right the schematics help but being a newbie i need sometimes to be pointed to the right direction to understand them

At least I know i cant play with that :slight_smile: … at least for now :wink:

thanks again

;D :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: got my ultimate kit today…

cool…it’s smaller than I imagined…

its’ ultimately awesomely small eh… :slight_smile:

Now just remember, no battery and wall adaptor at the same time ;D