Recomendation for a newbie on electronics

thanks to everybody…

I just ordered :

the fez ultimate kit plus a relay e-block, an assorment package from ebay of transistors, an assorment package of 1/4w resistors, another for capacitors, a 10v power supply, a 400 contacts breadboard, jumper cables

I already have the solder and multimeter.

This is my starting package…in 3 weeks i’ll order the battery and charger/booster, and others devices i will need for my little project…meanwhile when i get all this i will start inventing that black hole :smiley:

By this I hope you mean you have a good variable temperature soldering station. If you have one of the $10 Radio Shack irons prepare for frustration. The day I bought a good soldering station was the same day I really learned to solder. Before that it was just mess after mess… I bought a Kada 852D+ off eBay for about $75. Best $75 I’ve spent on this hobby.

sadly I don’t have that spaceship ;D. Just a solder…i will look into buying something more safe and confortable…remember i’m just starting on this hobby, I know how to solder when coaxial cable where used on networks, i’m in IT.

is there some good soldering station under $50?

This one look decent:

I have not used it myself (I have Weller WESD51), but it has some good reviews.

Sparkfun still has in stock their “Soldering Station Variable Temperature 50W - Analog (AT936B)” which is a clone of the Hakko 936. It’s actually an “Atten 936b”, but they speak highly of it. It’s only $29.95 and cheap shipping can be had:

[url]http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9672[/url]

I bought one, but I haven’t used it yet.

back to the power and battery discussion…

let’s say that i don’t want to use the remote box with a battery.

Can i inteface the panda II with the touch using a cable? How long that cable can be?

If i can do it that way, i can just put the touch on some enclosure connected to the main box with a cable and for remote control use IR to set some things.

The Touch comes with a cable about 6" long. Not sure if you can use longer or not.

ok…if someone can confirm how long that cable can be…I need something like 5 to 6 feet

crazy talk. signals over that length have to be handled carefully, a generic ribbon cable over that distance is likely to be problematic.

It can not be very long. The touch is connecting directly to the header on the Panda II, that means it is working at low voltage signaling at best which will work best with short lengths. To extend the length significantly you’ll need to convert the signalling to something designed for longer lengths. If timing is important though, it may not handle the overhead of such transition. Just guessing.

well, then back to remote box powered by battery :slight_smile:

Hmmm… If you’re willing to run a 6’ ribbon cable, why not a 6’ power cord?

i was thinking on the cheap option…if i could use a long cable for the touch i just need to buy one panda.

if I can’t use a long cable for the touch, i will need to buy a second panda to control the touch even using batteries or a long power cable.

well…i will use the remote box anyway, so i can learn more :slight_smile:

another question :

i’m waiting for my order of the ultimate kit and all the components to arrive, I ordered a 10v 1A power suply to power the main box…that is ok? or do i need (can have) less or more?

I think it can handle anything up to 12V but the Panda-II specs recommend 6V - 9V.

thats the reason i’m asking, and want to know if i can use the 10V 1A power supply without any problem

I’m using a 12V wall wart for dev w/o any problems. I’d want something in the recommended range though for something that’ll be running all the time. I’m sure Gus will ring in here in a few minutes with a more definite answer…

A 10V 1 Amp supply will work fine.

But, I suggest a power supply more in the range of 6 - 7 volts.

The higher the input voltage the more heat that must be disipated by the 5V regulator.

ok…this may be a dump question but i’m still learning this electronic stuff…

What is the difference between the 5V pin and the Vin pin on the Panda II? :-[

Vin is for supplying power TO the board. 5V is for supplying power to other stuff. You could call the 5V pin Vout…