Razor 9DOF - Any tutorials/guides?

Hi, I’ve just received my Razor 9DOF, and having never programmed any arudino chips I haven’t a clue where to get started. Would any of you guys be able to either give me a quick “how to get started” guide, or point me to a good resource dealing with it?

I believe Chris already wrote the code for that device.

This topic should contain some info on it:
http://tinyclr.com/forum/1/505/

Might be that it’s somewhere on his site:
http://www.chrisseto.com

Indeed I’ve seen that, however I haven’t the slighest clue how to even connect the thing to a computer :slight_smile: I need the most basic guide possible.

You will need a FTDI basic board + cable.

You can find them at sparkfun:
http://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=FTDI+basic&what=products

Also, make sure this cable/board has the right voltage!!! (3.3Volts)
For even more info, Chris is your man :slight_smile:
Hope I could help you so far.

Thanks, I’ve already ordered that board, and regarding the cable am I right thinking that I can just solder some wires between them?

I’m currently trying to get my panda to navigate through the test firmware, but I’m struggling, I recon I should just wait for the board.

Yes, on the images provided by sparkfun you can see that the breakout has the same connections as the razor:

[ulist]
DTR
RX
TX
3.3V
CTS
GND
[/ulist]

You could also use a angled header to connect them, that’s up to you.
I am more satisfied with stronger connections. :stuck_out_tongue:

Robert’s right that a regular 3.3V FTDI cable will work – from SFE.

The UART will handle up to 5V, so I just connect it directly to my Arduino with the ATMega removed

As for connecting the board to your uC, you need to connect, at a minimum:
3.3V
TX (on the 9DoF)
GND

See RWAR’s source code for more details on how to read it, but note that my driver is pretty sloppy. It could be done much better.

Also note that I have a firmware mod to allow for ask-tell communication.

http://files.chrisseto.com/1tK

Thanks guys, I’m snowed in over here, so no workshop time for me anytime soon :frowning: That means I won’t get my FTDI connection anytime soon. Is it possible to use the test firmware that comes with the RAZOR in order to get the readings out of it? I was trying to follow the code in C, but got slightly lost…

You can get readings out of it with the test firmware, yes. You need to send it some data to start the readings, though.

It will also be sorta inaccurate compared to the AHRS code.

Cheers, I’m sending it a 0x1A and getting loads of data back, now trying to get it parsing so that I get the data between the $ and # signs - Am I going the right way about this? I’m hoping tha should give me a string with all the outputs

Yep, that’s the way to do it. When you get your FTDI board, you can do something better, but for now, that will work.

Could you also keep track of your progress?
I’m getting curious about this board.

Well I’m having a bit of trouble right now.

What I’m doing is I’m opening the port, waiting for 5 seconds during which I manually reset the RAZOR, which then sends what I believe to be the welcome message (143 bytes, same every time). After that I send that byte, or I try sending a 2 to test the magnetometer, but I receive no reply. Going to try playing around with it more now.

Keep in mind I’m not very experienced, I’ve only worked with PICAXE before and most of the stuff I do is computer programming, so just because i’m struggling with it doesnt mean its difficult :slight_smile:

It would really help if you had an FTDI board for troubleshooting. I have never talked to the stock FW, so I don’t really know how it works. It’s not really meant for normal operation, it’s just a simple proof-that-it-works sorta deal.

Fair enough, I recon I’ll just wait then… Teacher wants me to some paperwork… What a pain, I hate writing, I just want to play around with the cool gadgets :slight_smile:

Yeah, there isn’t any point to the stock FW. It’s not compensated, it just outputs what it reads.