Quote post

I know there is a function to manually do a quote, but being able to click someone else’s post with a “quote” button which will take you to the reply window with their post shown in the quote tags, perhaps with a link to the original post and who you are quoting. Your post would then show the text instead of showing “post #6” would show “post #6 in reply to post #4” this would be great to have on really long threads where you’re not sure who is talking about who’s post in the thread, as it may have been a few pages ago.

See R/C car thread for many examples.

One more for Josh :smiley: I hope he doesn’t shoot himself :wall:

I’m sure you’ll find another developer if he does. Bleach works great on blood stains.

j/k

Don’t worry I have a list I keep adding things to, so when I return to working on the forum nothing will be missed!

I would vote against a button to quote a whole thread. What you wind up with is people who continually quote a quoted thread and each reply becomes pages long and impossible to read.

KISS is the best way to go IHMO…

I don’t think quote is a bad idea, it will save you a few seconds.

But as Jeff has said:

[quote]
I would vote against a button to quote a whole thread. What you wind up with is people who continually quote a quoted thread and each reply becomes pages long and impossible to read.[/quote]

Let’s just hope people use a little common sense and don’t quote the whole thread.

it’s nice when you have various people on different subjects in a thread (ie: it got derailed) so you know how is talking about what.

This is a good idea but I have seen ti abused by many users, they just quote everyone on everything and posts look very ugly after :frowning:

I like this idea.

All you have to do is add a part to the quoting mechanism to strip out inner quotes. That way, you can only quote one post. It would take some very simple regExp to do that, nothing difficult at all.

I’d leave it at two levels, so you can see what the quote you’ve quoted was referring to… So you have:

my post blah blah blah

Chris said in post number 953 on September 18th, 2010, 11:05:16am:
I like this idea

Gus said in post number 942 on September 15th, 2010, 10:13:19pm
This is a very good idea

Or implement an expander on the quote beyond 1 level. This would give you a little [+] button or a “see more” to expand it out to display all the levels of the quote. This way you can quickly see the chain of thought going into the post but it also wouldn’t clutter things up.

[quote]I’d leave it at two levels, so you can see what the quote you’ve quoted was referring to… So you have:
[/quote]

It is easier to just let people do this themselves if need be.

[quote]I like this idea.
[/quote]

Automatically quoting whole posts leads to pages of unreadable, less than useful noise IMHO. The context of what an individual post is about can be found in the rest of the thread, no need to keep repeating the same ting over and over and over and over and over again. :wink:

Just a different point of view…

[quote]Automatically quoting whole posts leads to pages of unreadable, less than useful noise IMHO. The context of what an individual post is about can be found in the rest of the thread, no need to keep repeating the same ting over and over and over and over and over again.

Just a different point of view…
[/quote]

Agree. This is the right approach.

At least then, let the forum display “all” the messages on the same page when we write a reply, not only the last 3.

Doing the quote manually is all well and good, but you can’t see who posted it or where… some of these threads move really quickly and the post you reference might be a page or two back if you last posted on say friday night and then don’t get a chance to check it until monday morning.

Look who is a fez master and in a very short time

Indeed, good work Mark :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, just wait and see how fast i get to hero! hehee (hopefully it’s fast :-[)

Takes ages, unless you start spamming… But then you will get kicked by Gus and the rest of the tinyclr team :smiley:

You will be their new victim for their angry fez monkey prototype :smiley:

Actually it doesn’t take long if you contribute enough the the community. The more you provide the more we help :wink:

I’ve got a lot of sensors and device to write up drivers for and wiki pages for… at 200pts a pop that adds up quickly, and really helps the community. The more stuff that people can integrate into their fez just by dropping a class or library into their code the more awesome fez projects we’ll see.

The more awesome fez projects we see the more people who come to fez… the more people who come to fez… etc etc etc