Question about the T35 Display

Out of curiosity I started looking into displays’ prices and found out that this particular T35 for the gadgeteer seems to be overpriced, since I have found a module with similar specs for just 16$(3.2", 320x240, touch and built-in controllers).

Don’t get me wrong, but is there any particular reason for GHI setting the T35 display price to 100$?

When you that other one, do you GHI’s support? By that I mean software and hardware?

Do you get the Gadgeteer support built in?

I’m sure there’s much more that I am missing.

Your getting much more than just a display when you buy from GHI, imo.

Are you comparing it to other gadgeteer display modules or to “eBay” display?

Without giving us a reference to the display it is very difficult to determine if it is an equivalent display.

Also, it would be interesting to see your pricing analysis to backup why you think why the display is overpriced.

You have to keep in mind that when you are manufacturing something you may go with a more expensive part because it is of better quality or guaranteed availability, etc, etc. Then you add in cost of the PCB to hold it, the cost of connectors, the cost of the cables, the cost of manufacturing, the cost of developing the driver, etc, etc, etc…oh yeah, and I bet they want to make enough money to earn a living too. :slight_smile:

For a single unit price with all the support, drivers, etc that come with it I think $100 is a fair price. If you want to buy 1000 of them I bet GHI could make you a better deal.

@ Jeff:

I think if a proper analysis is done, the cost of the display itself is less than 20% of the total cost to manufacture the module/board.

Let us not forget there has to be sufficient margin in the product to support a distributor network.

Like I said, don’t get me wrong. I understand there are implications of sourcing and engineering cost when developing a product and supporting it.

@ Gus
This display is sold on ebay too, yes. What kind of quality difference should I look for when comparing displays(lifetime, response time and such)? Is the gadgeteer support for the T35 built into native firmware(meaning DMA/FSMC)?

I don’t see any barriers from developing a Gadgeteer board with any standard 16-bit TFT display. We have the required class to change the TFT setting to fit the display you are targeting. Check GHIElectronics libraries documentation

I am not the one that set prices but compare it to this 3.2 inch QVGA LCD Color Display - Embedded Artists
Which is $114 http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/EA-LCD-002/EA-LCD-002-ND/235023
So GHI should raise the price by $14 :slight_smile: I am just kidding of course.

This gadgeteer display is slightly larger for $120 http://gadgeteerguy.com/Catalog/ArticleView/tabid/142/ArticleId/5/LCD-Display.aspx

Of course this is gadgeteer, which is open platform. Anyone is welcome ot create a replacement display at lower cost. We will support them and even list it on the community offering wiki http://wiki.tinyclr.com/index.php?title=Community_Offers Also, GHI doesn’t tie you to the use of any specific module.

Ok, thanks guys.