Main Site Documentation

Project and zip

Wonder if community projects could standardize on Zip instead of (7z, etc.). Don’t want to force people to download 7z for not much benifit.

While 7z is the best I always use standard windows zip when sharing files with the rest of the world.

I agree. I only mention as the FezPanel project is a 7z and had to go download.

Most zip programs will handle all the different zip/tar/bz2/rar/gz formats

Most programs will handle it, but I keep mine either as zip or rar.

We are talking about zip that is built in windows. Yes yes I do not use either but we can’t assume everyone will install a zip software since there is one that is built in windows.

You are right Gus. However I do expect that 9 out of 10 people involved with coding use either winzip, winrar or 7zip instead of windows zip?

Nevertheless you are totally right :slight_smile:

[quote]You are right Gus. However I do expect that 9 out of 10 people involved with coding use either winzip, winrar or 7zip instead of windows zip?
[/quote]

Is it that the more obtuse compression program we use the smarter we can convince ourselves we are? ::slight_smile: I do use WinZip only because I have one friend that like sending password protected Zip file, or the occasional RAR or other flavor of file I might run across; other than that there is no really compelling reason.

I quite often talk with folks who are just starting out with various technical endeavors and just talking them though using the built in ZIP utility is difficult enough. I would hate to have to explain how to use 17 other compression programs to gain access to a few files.

Both Winrar and 7zip permit drag&drop files from or to the compressed folder :wink: So, it’s not that hard.
Hardest part is to explain what is a compressed file. And here, Windows does not facilitate this with its builtin zip management, I think :think:

I personnaly use Winrar most of the time, and 7zip sometimes.

exactly. Everyone has zip. No compelling reason to use anything else as justs complicates matters. So community should just standardize on zip. For good or bad it is the defacto standard.