PPP - Will it be reintroduced in GHI v4.2?

As Im say in few post back PPP is feature which make GHI boards better than boards from other companys, but until we can buy old and good EMX modules and use them with 4.1 FW there is no worry to search new solutions… If someday will G120 get PPP support we will switch to them and use them with 4.2 FW …
Maybe will Microsoft add PPP in some of next NETMF release…

3 Likes

This is a real shame, as I have stated my comments on this before but wanted to justify them.

I got the ChipworkX running with my existing design and pleased with the porting. I then added the ability to download a file from my server to allow the unit to be updated. This uses the PPP connection over GPRS. I also use the GPRS connection to update from a time sever and to send periodic debug data to my server.

The fact that you had a simple way to add PPP was a great way for me to get my application working and it seemlessly just worked with the built-in TCP/IP networking. No need to fiddle around with AT commands and only have the ability to connect to one IP and PORT at a time and even then, it does not connect seemlessly to the TCP/IP stack.

I hope in the mean time I can continue to purchase ChipworkX modules as I will be unwilling to switch to the G400 at this stage for this particular design until I can get the code to work without PPP and that is quite a bit of work ahead.

It’s really sad :frowning: We have about 200 serial modems without built in TCP/IP stack. More than 150 gas distribution stations are supplied with these modems. We are planning to supply aforesaid modems with EMX Modules (G120) and keep track of data communications via internet (previously used CSD data transfer). Now we are writing our software under EMX Module using MF 4.1. However, we hope the class PPP will be realized in the following release (4.2, 4.3).

2 Likes

It’s clear that there is no gonna be PPP on GHI V4.2, I started a new project with G120 because I saw that it support PPP and that was a mistake on the page and in the brochure that I downloaded on April 16. Now I have to choose between continue with G120 or find another board. The question is, if I develop a PPP class, how can I made the connection between it and the .NETMF TCP/IP satck? are there some way to interface them?

1 Like

How about opening the source code of the PPP if GHI does not plan to continue support this feature? :slight_smile:

Even if we did that it would not help anyone. There are many PPP examples out there, integrating it is the challenging part.

PPP will probably make it back as we already have the code but we want to say it will not so we are not pressured on the release date.

Wishlist LevelOne = new WishlistItem
{
WishlistItem.add (Category=luxury, subject="want to say it will not so we are not pressured on the release date");
}

4 Likes