Powering UsbClientDP from USB and Aux. power supply

I have read the post “Powering UsbClientDP drops USB connection” by Duke Nukem (about 3 months ago)

What is GHI Electronics ‘official’ position on using the UsbClientDP with both power supplies attached?

I wanted to have additional power available for my Fez.Spider but I never have success with two power sources attached.
As soon as I attach the Aux power supply the T35 display goes crazy! Vertical and horizontal lines, blanks out, etc.
It appears that the Spider main board keeps resetting.

This is NOT a gripe about the issue. Only a question.

An additional question… Is it possible to power the UsbClientDP from a Lab quality power supply and then debug [from/using] a USB Host module.
I have looked briefly but I could not find anything about debugging the Fez.Spider from a USB Host module. If available, could somebody provide a link to
debugging from other than the UsbClientDP.

Thanks in advance…

@ willgeorge - From the product page:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/280

“Connecting power on both sides is safe.”

Is the LED blinking on the USB Client DP? If so, you may be supplying too much power to the module.

I’ve never heard of debugging via USB Host. I believe that you could debug via serial using this module:

http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/287

“Using this module, any of the serial UART sockets on a mainboard can be converted into a virtual serial connection over USB. Use this connection to transfer data to a PC or for debugging over serial (virtual serial over USB).”

Connecting both is safe. But only one of them will be power the system internal. In another word, you will not get extra power if you connect both.

[quote]I wanted to have additional power available for my Fez.Spider but I never have success with two power sources attached.
As soon as I attach the Aux power supply the T35 display goes crazy! Vertical and horizontal lines, blanks out, etc.
It appears that the Spider main board keeps resetting. [/quote]

If this case happens then just disconnect the USB and the DC power and connect them back the USB first then the DC power.

devhammer

Is the LED blinking on the USB Client DP?

No it is not blinking. The led remains solid red.
Maybe my PC USB circuits/drivers do not like it when I add the Aux power.

As a note:

I did a little more investigation and I have noticed that the Debuggable .Net Micro Framework Device
(GHI .NET Micro Framework USB Debugging Interface) disappears as a device (in the Device Manager) when I plug in the Aux power.
I’m using Windows 7 64 bit.

@ Willgeorge, my suggestion to you (with no DP module experience of my own, so it might be somewhat random :slight_smile: ) would be to first only connect your power cable, so that Fez starts up “normally”. Then, once your app starts, add USB cable, and see what the Device Manager shows.