Pas trhough internet

This is a hard question for me to ask because i don’t know the full technical terms…

See diagram…

My G120 board has a webserver. I want to add a ethernet connector that will allow be to connect this to my router. But i also want to pass the traffic onto another device that also wanta connection to the router.

How do i do this with one connector?

Can i share one ethernet line?

You need “internet switch”.

Something like this:

Depending on the router you have, it should come with a 4 Port switch built in, unless you are connecting directly to a device such as your ISP’s modem, then you will need something like @ Architect pointed out.

Thanks Guys…i understand what a switch is but how do i incorporate on my board?
So i have to incorporate a switch on my board?

I thought their would be away to share ethernet connection…i guess the switcg is the way…i will try and find a switch ship!

Is this your G120 board?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/431

If so you will need this module:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/333

After that you will be able to connect your G120 to the switch or available ports on your router if it has built-in switch as James mentioned.

Thanks Architect…i understand this but i want the switch to be internal to my circuit. I am using the G120…i will need some sort of switch chip that i can put on my board.

This is the type of chip i will need. DM8023 DAVICOM

Correct netMF provide web server which i want available be available on the network.

@ anthonys - So, you are creating your own board schematic for G120 application and you want to integrate in the design an eth switch chip on your board ?

From the description of usage, what would be the benefit of having the switching being handled by the G120?

From the way you describe it, you want the webserver to be visible to the network, and thats the only obligation the webserver has on the network, correct?

The second mainboard would be used to communicate to the out-side world, as well as be able to access the webserver, correct?

If both of these are true, then you only need a switch (or your current router). Connect the G120’s ethernet to the switch, enable DHCP or static IP, and it will be able to communicate directly to the outside network (if it exists), no need to feed data through the second mainboard, and no need for internal switching mechanisms.

Could he be wanting to build a device with a built in switch?

If so, any direction on that? – My curiosity has been piqued as to what it would take.

that’s not really a sensible thing to undertake, incorporating a network switch or perhaps even a router into a device like this. What is the use case that you think makes this compelling? A microframework device (any micro really) is too underpowered to do any routing on it’s own, so you would need no integration between the Ethernet and micro besides the Ethernet cable from the micro.

If you need to have this capability, buy a bigger case, an off-the-shelf Ethernet switch, and a short Ethernet cable, and build the whole thing in an enclosure and expose only the unused ports to the outside world.

Ok - I just became curious as to what it would take to incorporate a switch into a custom device. Essentially wiring the G120/400/etc to one port via the PCB and then exposing the others.

I can’t think of a use case either, just curious.

BTW this is the smallest switch (5 ports) I can find:

2.9″ x 2.1″ x 0.6″

you won’t be able to direct wire a micro to an Ethernet network - I suspect too many things will depend on the actual properties that the entire networking layer gives.

I was thinking through circuity like this, minus the jack.

(Ethernet ENC28 Module)
https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/333

point is, Ethernet is as much about magnetics of the entire solution as signals…

There is a lot of stuff inside the Ethernet jack.

Learn something new each day … I assumed it was a simple connector.

It is!

With a bunch of transformers, a couple of LEDs and possible bridge rectifier inside. :wink:

mm…this is new area of research…let try to exoplain the reason…

I have a device using the G120 that has built-in web-server(thats the easy part)
Another module on my board also requires a network connection
My enclosure will have 1 Ethernet connector

So i am guesing that my device will have 1 ethernet jacked connected internally to a 3 ports switch to handle the traffic.

I say a 3 port switch as 1 for webserver,1 for other device, 1 for external case