Panda II status

Hello Gus

I see the Panda II has been relegated to ‘other’ and am wondering whether it is still an active product. I built a series of dataloggers about a year and a half ago, all of which are still doing their job well, by the way. I have to build a new series and don’t want to spend time on an inactive product. The Panda will do everything I need to do with it.

Thanks

No current plan to discontinue it but it is our oldest product. GHI usually provide a notice long before discontinuing a core product.

Thanks Gus. Saves me from learning yet another hardware platform.

This is one of the great features of netmf. All our netmf product are 90% the same.

randomr’s point is well taken. While it is wise to migrate to newer and more capable platforms when a product can benefit, it is also nice to have a steady supply of a platform like the Panda II that meets a need and provides stability. Sometimes that 10% delta can be significant in terms of time.

Good insight idafez.
The main reasons I jumped from arduinos to Panda’s were the IDE and the onboard sd card. My goal was to replace the $1500 to $2000 daq’s that I was using with automated standalone units and the Panda’s have done that well. In the projects they are used in nothing more is required. I would love to have the time to explore every new platform that appears but I am spread way too thin for that. When I need additional capacity I will go there, but until then the Panda does the trick. The only area where it is lacking is in the resolution of the adc’s. 4 channel, 16 bit adc’s are now available that communicate through I2C so even that is not a concern. Except that they are hard to find because the new micro sensation Raspberry Pi has no adc’s and they have gobbled up the market supply. That unit is overkill for my requirements.
I understand the drive to go the gadgeteer route as it makes it more appealing to those with no electronics background, but I hope the panda’s stick around for a while.

My vote is for the Panda–don’t let it go extinct. Perfect size and cost for my applications, lots of GPIOs. Admittedly i’ve done very minimal work on the network side so don’t understand the limitations, but i’ve made it work so far. Could use more PWM and Analog but when i run out i use a second Panda. Size and cost makes it great for modularity. I don’t want to go Gadgeteer and the Cobra is great but don’t need to buy that much power. Something smaller than a Cobra but more real than a Raspberry–perfect.