OSH... Machine Shop?

I want to have some plastics fabricated. These plastics parts will be complex and multi-angle 3D.

I am aware of eMachineShop; which is easy to use and has pretty good prices. However, are there others?

Has anyone used eMachineShop before?

Justin

Why not 3D print it?

Did I estimated right? A sheet of 1/2"x 5" x10" is over $900?

Maybe, depending on the material…

Using their cheapest plastic ($1.40 / cm3)…
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/material-options

I get…

.5" x 5" x 10" = 1.27 cm x 12.7 cm x 25.4 cm = 409.7 cm^3
409.7 * $1.40 = $573.5 + $1.50 s/h = $575 !!!

WOW! Now I know why I’ve never used them… I suggest you find a friend with a 3D printer and buy him a case of beer :wink: Check your local hackerspace if there is one. I’m sure you can get it done a lot cheaper than that. That’s half the cost of some 3D printers!

I really hope I did the math wrong…

I sent them an email. I can’t imagine! Maybe there is a typo on their website. Why would anyone pay that much? If their numbers were cubic inch then the prices are more understandable.

The price is based on the cubic cm of the volume of material, not the overall volume of the object.

If you are using CAD for the design, it should be able to calculate the volume of material used.

By the way, upload your design to their site and it will check it and give you a price without any commitment. Worth it for a quick check.

Dave’s right and that’s how I calculated “a sheet” but in reality that’s probably no where close to the actual material you need.

I also misread their min sheet. I thought it was 1cm min thickness; it’s .2mm! So I can take my plastic down to 1/8 or 1/16 & cuts costs to around $100. Which is a price range I can deal with.

Thanks for making me take a second look!