Open Source Gaming Console

I’ve been watching the progress of this, and its really taking off. Any thoughts?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Android based game console, sounds interestnig. Are you a backer on that project?

Will be interesting to watch where this goes.

Certainly the level of backing suggests that there are people who dislike the idea of gatekeepers, but the thing to remember is that there are some pretty compelling reasons for content curation. Compare the Android store to the more closed marketplaces, and you’ll have an idea what I mean.

Food for thought…how happy are users going to be when a game crashes their console, or rips off their data?

Fully open sounds wonderful in principle, but the devil is in the details. :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen any console crashers yet, but the less than protected data problem is already being taken advantage of just about everywhere, both by nefarious and reputable companies/developers. If someone wants my high score, let 'em have it.

Let’s bust out of the game genre for a bit and imagine something else… with bluetooth and wifi, this would be a great UI for uC based apps like home automation… heck you could even make a game out of turning your lights on and off :slight_smile:

I need a trust fund or lottery jackpot to pay the bills while I come up with all these crazy new apps…

I think this is what the Nexus Q should have been. Why have a super expensive Android based device designed completely around streaming music? This thing could do every bit as much and probably more for a third the price… minus the audio amp that would be redundant in most people’s home theater.