OledDisplay ERROR : Painting error

Check gadgeteer.codeplex.com.

Do we have a fix for this on Hydra yet? Please? :’(

Gus posted something recently. Search in the forum.

We do have a fix but not public yet.

Gus, I downloaded the Gadgeteer source from codeplex. The error is thrown when trying to execute

GTM.Module.Mainboard.NativeBitmapConverter(bitmapbytes, vram, Mainboard.BPP.BPP16_BGR_BE);

I don’t seem to have the source here for the Hydra implementation of this abstract class but it appears that NativeBitmapConverter is not implemented in the GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZHydra. The DisplayModule.SimpleGraphics needs this implementation to work.

Sweet, Found the FEZHydra.sln way down in there, referenced that, and Voila! TEXT ON MY OLED!!! YAY!!!

Jimmy,

Can you share the steps and code for your workaround, so the rest of us OLED owners have a solution until the official fix is out? :slight_smile:

I will try to put together a show walkthrough in the morning.

1. Get the Source
You can download the source code for Gadgeteer from http://gadgeteer.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets or you can checkout the SVN repositry from https://gadgeteer.svn.codeplex.com/svn.
[italic]Note: I checked out via SVN and would occasionally get alerts about not being to connect to TFS. I just ignored it. The directory of the source on my machine is C:\Development\gadgeteer, adjust the following steps to match your location.[/italic]

2. Compile the FEZHydra mainboard code.
Open C:\Development\gadgeteer\Main\Mainboards\GHIElectronics\FEZ Hydra\Software\GadgeteerSupport\FEZHydra.sln and build the solution.

3. Replace the installed files with this new build.
Copy the files from:
C:\Development\gadgeteer\Main\Mainboards\GHIElectronics\FEZ Hydra\Software\GadgeteerSupport\FEZHydra\bin\Debug\NETMF
Into the installed directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI .NET Gadgeteer SDK\Mainboards\FEZHydra\NETMF 4.1

4. Compile the Seeed OledDisplay code.
Open C:\Development\gadgeteer\Main\Modules\Seeed\OledDisplay\Software\OledDisplay.sln and Build the solution.
[italic]Note: This is where I get a TFS alert to go offline. It seemed to be fine to say okay, we’re not going to be contributing today.[/italic] :wink:

5. Replace the installed files with this new build.
Copy files from:
C:\Development\gadgeteer\Main\Modules\Seeed\OledDisplay\Software\OledDisplay\bin\Debug\NETMF
Into the installed directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Seeed\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Modules\OledDisplay\NETMF 4.1

6. Test a new project.
File > New Project > .NET Gadgeteer Application
Add the Seeed OledDisplay in the designer.
Right-click designer surface and “Connect all modules”.
Open Program.cs and add the following under Debug.Print(“Program Started”);

oledDisplay.SimpleGraphics.DisplayText("Hello World!", Resources.GetFont(Resources.FontResources.NinaB), GT.Color.Green, 0, 0);

Ensure your device is connected and press F5.

Voila!

[italic]Note: I don’t think the library is close to releasable. My text is NOT the color specified, nor is it in the location specified.[/italic]

Just to be clear to future viewers, this is ONLY needed for now till next release is out in couple weeks.

@ Gus

Yep!

Workaround for all us impatient types. :smiley:

Hey what is the etiquette on releasing custom flavors of mainboards?

Say I revamp the Hydra’s firmware targeted for a specific app and want to share that out. Does it become GHIElectronics.Gadgeteer.FEZHydra.Skewworks_Variant or…?

Skewworks, unrelated to oled dispkay :slight_smile: new topic?

Kinda related because I want to do the same thing with the OLED…I’ll start a new topic though. :smiley:

@ Gus,

Any updates on the next release? Unfortunately, I tried Jimmy’s suggestion of pulling and compiling the Hydra and OledDisplay source, but I’m not having any luck getting them to play nicely together.

My Hydrabot needs a face to go along with it’s new-found mobility (got the motor driver installed and initial testing done tonight). Help a robot out, would you?

:slight_smile:

That is already fixed but we are waiting on gadgeteer core update and adding dynamic Ethernet support.

It is just a matter of replacing the GTM.Seed.OledDisplay.dll in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Seeed\Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer\Modules\OledDisplay\NETMF 4.1” with the one you you have fixed?

In this is the case, I am sure you could send us the fixed dll

No it is not what you think

Life on the bleeding edge :wink: Thanks Gus et al for all your hard work. Can’t wait to get my hands on it, but I can wait while you make it right.

@ Gus

Does GHI has a timeframe for the next release of the Gadgeteer SDK?

Thanks