OEM Box Question

Hello!

I’m planning to develop a RFID terminal with touch display, which communicates with a webservice over SSL. As I want it to look professional, I thought that the FEZ Cobra OEM Box (3.5" Display) would be a good choice - although the cobra is probably more powerful than what I need.

Therefore I wanted to ask whether a RFID reader like the ID-20 would fit in the box behind the display. It should be somehow centered, so that it’s clear for the user where to hold the tag.
I have no experience with RFID yet, so I don’t know if this would work?

Is this a good approach, or do you have other suggestions for an enclosure, it can also be with a different FEZ board?

Thanks

RFIDs have antennas and they shouldn’t be blocked to functions correctly.

Welcome to the community.

Thanks for the reply!

Ok, good to know. So there is no good way to place a reader in the box. Then I will try to find and customize an enclosure which fits my needs. It won’t be easy, I fear.

Hi Tumys. Check out this project:

http://code.tinyclr.com/project/427/st-crx14-rfid-reader-driver/

See in the video how close the RFID tag needs to be in order to read and write the tag. I don’t think it would work if you put it into the Cobra enclosure. I know there are more powerfull readers but there are also law regulations that say how far can the reader work.

Ok, thanks for the help!
I’ll see what I can find :slight_smile:

Ive got an ID-12 RFID reader project running with my Panda II. I get good solid reads at about 4-5 cm from the reader. If its mounted against the inside of a case (as long as its plastic) you should be ok. Behind the screen wont work though.