Nuclear fusion on the back of your truck

[em]Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready for use in a decade.[/em]

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015

Anybody has DeLorean for sale? ;D

I can’t be the only one who thinks something like this, while helpful and useful, can be easily turned into a dirty bomb or the like…

@ mhectorgato - smaller fission reactors exist and we’ve not seen many dirty bombs from them. Also the fuel that goes into them is not radioactive. I think the only thing that actually is is the casing of the reactor that gets aftivated. It’s a bit difficult to harvest that safely.

Gotcha … it’s just with world events, a fear one has no is not a thought that even entered one’s mind not too many years ago.

1 Like

Not to get too off track. . . the article states, “In recent years, Lockheed has gotten increasingly involved in a variety of alternate energy projects, including several ocean energy projects, as it looks to offset a decline in U.S. and European military spending.”

Looking at the current geo-political landscape I hope U.S./European military spending doesn’t decline too much.

Back on topic. . .
Cold fusion has been promised for the last few decades. It would be really cool if it could be a reality in the next 30 years or so.