I found one of these cheap LCDs on ebay and thought I would get one to see how well I could get 9bit running as 8bit. It’s cheap enough I could just toss if I didn’t think it was worth the trouble. It’s also ugly enough that I don’t think I would use it for anything anyway.
To use up all the bits I created 9byte command sets. The command set transfers to a larger 7k command queue that is able to write the entire screen in less than 5ms. At the most it would only waste around 7bits out of 7k which is why it can update so fast.
Now I just have to find the best way to merge draw data into the command buffer and not update full commands every time.