No luck with getting a program to run

I’ve tried a couple different sample apps (blinking lights) but no luck. I’m hoping there is something simple I’ve overlooked. I’ve tried using the Arch and LPC11U24 platforms, as suggested on this forum. There is a default firmware.bin file that is already on the board, so you can’t drop a new app in, too little space. I’ve tried deleting the existing firmware.bin and dropping mine on, as named, no luck. I’ve tried renaming mine to firmware.bin and dropping it in, no luck. Once you press reset, nothing is saved. What is the exact procedure for getting something to run on this thing? I may have missed it but a quick start guide would be really nice.

Delete the file you see and then drop your firmware file on the drive.

I have experienced a similar situation. Deleting the firmware.bin file and then loading a program results in the firmware.bin returning after the board is reset.

I have tried on two windows systems with similar results… or non-results…

After seeing the above issue, during my initial tries with the mBuino, I put it aside. I have a few other major projects which are preempting my time.

That is the expected behavior.This is normal.

It is? The name of the program I transfer to the device is changed to firmware.bin?

Correct. After all this is a virtual drive, a cheat h to load the firmware.

@ Gus - Thank you for the quick reply, I wrote this as I was leaving work, if I had known the response would be so quick, I would have stuck around :).

If that’s how it should work, something’s wrong. I’ve tried it on Win 8.1 and Win 7, with the same results. I’m not sure if the OS is a factor.

I tried the same sample app with two different platforms and two different mBuinos, I get the same result, nothing. The app I tried is below, I found a link from another post, it looks pretty straight forward.

I’m not sure if I’ve bricked on the mBuinos (I got the five pack). At first, I didn’t realize the reset button needed to be held down on startup, so the OS would recognize the drive. When the mBuino was powered, the LEDs would blink in rotation, the default.bin I assume. If the reset button is held down, the OS recognizes the mBuino and all the LEDs stay dimly lit. However, I no longer see the default blinking LEDs on the first mBuino I tried, they stay dimly lit all the time, whether or not if I hold the reset button on startup. Although, it is still recognized by the OS if I start it with the reset button held.

#include "mbed.h"

DigitalOut LED[] = {(P0_7), (P0_8), (P0_2), (P0_20), (P1_19), (P0_17), (P0_23)};// declare 7 LEDs

float delayTime = .05;

int main()
{
    while(1)
    {
        delayTime = 0.05;
        for(int x = 0; x < 7; x++)
        {
            LED[x] = 1; // turn on
            wait(.2); // delay

LED[x] = 0; // turn off
            wait(delayTime); // delay
        }
        for(int x = 6; x >= 0; x--)
        {
            LED[x] = 1; // turn on
            wait(.2); // delay

LED[x] = 0; // turn off
        }

for(int x = 0; x < 7; x++)
        {
            LED[x] = 1; // turn on
        }
        for(int x = 6; x >= 0; x--)
        {
            LED[x] = 0; // turn off
        }

}
}

It works for me. I also noted the file dissapearing thing happening but asummed it is just my original file that got renamed to firmware.bin? Anyway at least my original program continiuous to run even though one can not see the file name anymore.

My tip : Very usefull is that you can use the USB port to send debug serial data to using printf statements. But you need to install a driver first. It works well on my Windows 8 PC. See USBSerial - Handbook | Mbed for more details.

If the leds no longer blink then that means you loaded a new software on the device but your software is not proper.

This is all documented better in our platform page but are waiting for mbed to make it live.

@ erico

Did you select the correct platform on the mbed compiler ? LPC11U24 ?

What is the name of the file that downloads from the mbed page when you compile ? The name will contain the platform name.

After you copy the new file into the mbuino drive (appears when you hold reset) you may have to press reset 2 times to get it run the new code.

@ Rajesh - Arch and LPC11U24 are the two platforms I’ve tried. They both contain the names of the platform in the output .bin files.

Pressing reset, immediately erases whatever I’ve put on there.

Got a chance to retest the mBuino and it works.

I have a LPC1678, which works quite different from the mBuino. I was expecting to load a program in the same manner. :wink:

@ Mike - how different? I think the only thing is erasing the old file before loading the new firmware?

OK Gus, you are going to make me say it… :-[

I might have had the wrong processor specified for the project. But, I will never say it was my fault.

3 Likes