Newly received device not working

Hello RoSchmi,

I have tried without succes. BTW the project didn’t deploy because it complains about mscorlib was referenced more than once with different versions. I have copied mscorlib.dll from the package folder of my Wifi test to youre packages. Further I commented out the debug text (like System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(“Hello FEZ”)) because Debug isn’t in Diagnostics on my system. After that the software could deployed!

After fast flashing led1 I have pressed BTN1 and it started slow flashing. After that I have disconnected the USB and connected the serial wires and Boot0 to 3,3V. Connected the two USB and started ST flash demostrator on the serial COM port. ST says that the device isn’t responding.

LED1 was still slow flashing. I think I had to delete the FEZ firmware and put the FEZ into boot mode first?

Thanks again for all your help!

Best regards,
Aart

With this program deleting of the firmware is not needed. But when you power up the board you have to press BTN1 before clicking on next.

Hi Brett,

I have also disconnected Boot0 but after powered off and on by removing the USB cable no message was send to TeraTerm over the serial port.

The FEZ board itself was in normal operation and not in bootmode with the FEZ 1.0 firmware installed.

Best regards,
Aart

Perhaps it is helpful if you post a Foto where we can see how you connected the cables. If you follow my instructions exactly it should work. I have the board in front of me and it works every time.

Note that there are 2 longer Thread.Sleep in my code so you have to wait some seconds before pressing BTN1

Yes, I have seen that because I have done the operation with the debugger.

I have pressed next in ST Flash after the function: ResetToUart() was completed.

I will send foto’s. If it works at your site than may be the USB to serial cable connection should be checked again. The adapter iself was tested with TeraTerm by shorting TX and RX.

After having run the Programm a first time with debugger and you then power it up again the Programm will automatically be executed and you see nothing in the debugger. LED1 will go on for 5 sec, then off and after another 2 seconds you can press BTN1 to send the reset signal to the Wifi module. This will then reboot and after this you can click on NEXT and STMFlashLoader will connect.

I have made a foto and checked the wires again. Everything OK.

I have done the operation with the debugger because led1 goes on for 5 sec and than on for 2 seconds and then start fast flashing in WaitForButton. When BTN1 is pushed then the led start slow flashing. Without the debugger (by disconnecting and reconnecting USB) the LED starts direct with slow flashing. And after pressing BTN1 (before Next in flasher) is stays flashing at the same speed. May this is something debugger related?

I think you have connected RX and TX wrong. (zwart = ground, wit = RX (naar USB poort) en groen = TX (van USB poort)). The green cable must be connected to the pin near the ground pin. (see my picture)

BTW after powering FEZ off and on I always wait until led1 starts flashing. Then I press BTN1 and then NEXT of the STMFlashLoader.

YES! YES! YES!

This has worked! I have these wires swapped several times in the GHI procedure. But your software has really worked! Your method is much easier and GHI should this make the standaard procedure! Or better they should made it a part of TinyConfig! Not even a need to need. The WiFi module is now updating as I write.

May be in your reset app the other LED should be falshing fast as a sign the button was pressed and the reset is done!

Later I will check if the WiFi module is working!

Thank you again RoSchmi for your kind support!

Regards,
Aart

Congratulations !! When I updated the firmware myself it took me many hours as well until I noticed that I had wrongly connected TX and RX (GHI and STM documents not clear enough?).
When you now try the examples from GHI don’t forget to include this code:
Actually GHI’s example doesn’t work as is. The following Commands have to be added to prevent the board from working in python mode.

private static GpioPin _pinPyton;

….

….

_pinPyton = cont.OpenPin(FEZCLR.GpioPin.PA0);

_pinPyton.SetDriveMode(GpioPinDriveMode.InputPullDown);

otherwise the WiFi will run in python mode and will not respond to GHIs AT commands.

Thank you!!!

Yes, I have tried the example again and now it generates un unhandled exception in wifi.JoinNetwork and a second time it hangs there forever.

I thought I had to reset WiFi also by connecting GPIO0 t to 3,3V or something. Or was pressng Boot0 button. But first I will add your code because I had something read about the defaulting to Pyton mode (TTL is thid stat or something) . Didn’t remember exactly!

For tests don’t delete the
WaitForButton(); command
before the
wifi.JoinNetwork

Seems that the WiFi module needs some time to scan for devices

Hi RoSchmi,

Your update about the pyton mode worked! It is scanning now!

WIND: ConfigurationFailure 10
WIND: PowerOn 171117-0328fe3-SPWF04S
WIND: Copyright SPWF04SA
WIND: WatchdogRunning 20
WIND: ConsoleActive
WIND: WiFiHardwareStarted
WIND: WiFiScanning
WIND: WiFiScan 00

It is still scanning. May be WIND: WiFiScan 00 stated that nothing is found?

regards,
Aart

BTW at the beginning it has a config failure 10!

I will add the WaitForButton(); before JoinNetwork and try again!

Hi RoScmi,

I think that has solved again! WIND: WpaCrunchingPsk has status:14. I think this is because tha key was processed.

But I had never expected that this could help . So between wifi.TurnOn(0 and wifi.JoinNetwork there should be a wait. I will try a several waits to explore a standard time.(will be several seconds I suppose).

Best regards,
Aart

Ok, the second time it finds the AP very fast and makes the connection direct. This is becuase the wifi module stored teh succesfull settings. I will try later with different AP or after reset the wifi module…

For futher test i to do some code!

Thanks again for your support!

1 Like

We changed the pins to no init on 1.0 release to keep the ST pins to the default state, which in turn caused this problem. We need to update the examples accordingly. Thank you for helping.

1 Like

Hi Gus,

Wifi is working now and the device appears in the AP (FritzBox).

But it brings us not much further because to use a simple HTTP listener function or Sockets functions we got: Not implemented! These runtime exceptions can’t be solved I suppose because they are not implemented. Or am I doing something wrong.

Regards,
Aart