New Raspberry Pi B+ released

New and improved Raspberry Pi is apparently out and still at $35.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus/

1 Like

I suppose the update is

-4 USB host ports (vs 2)
-Micro SD Card (no more fragile hanging card)
-Extra pins on the I/O connector
-Single 3.5 audio connector
-Few other placement changes (may need new enclosures ? )

Same processor - same performance

It is interesting and nice board but no .net programming so not really interested :frowning:

@ BlackDogSpark

Why not. Try Mono.

http://www.mono-project.com

The Raspberry is unfortunately too weak for MonoDevelop. You need a Board with more Power like Cubietruck or Odroid U3

http://www.cubieboard.org/
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

@ BlackDogSpark

Why no, how about mono?

@ Wolfgang Feneberg

you first :slight_smile:

Cool Start with Mono

I am not a fan of non-cross platform development. What I mean is I like where I can develop code on my PC and compile it then download and run and debug on the target, real time.

Android, NETMF, C/C++ (via JTAG) is much easier than having to try and develop and run on the Pi itself.

For example, I am playing with the Spark Core just now and I have an application that does not work as it should and the lack of debugging is making me regret trying this out. I now need to figure out how to enable and use the JTAG shield before this lot goes in the bin.

Debugging without breakpoints and single stepping code really is hard work.

Remote debugging of Mono targets, posted Oct 2013.

This board http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G140448267127 makes the new Raspberry Pi B+ a little under powered. Big downside is the cost! I am planning to use the odriod XU3 to run ROS (robotic operating system).

I just got my first Raspberry Pi just this week just to see what all the fuss is all about. First impression was very good. It was a breeze to set up a wireless Wifi connection and make it play some MP3 files etc. I am right now testing out VisualGDB which allows you to use Visual Studio as the development IDE and even gives you the ability to do debugging etc. It was a lot easier that I expected to get going, but I am still very much in the “Hello World” stage. Definitely going to order myself one of the B+ models as well.

I have not yet purchased a Raspberry Pi but like @ KiwiSaner’s experience, I have heard that setting up and using is a breeze. And at $35, I think I may get one myself.

Hopefully as the NETMF experience continues, it will become just as easy because it is that initial excitement that I think hooks people on a platform.

Later I think it becomes more about how easy it is to debug which is where I believe NETMF is way ahead.

@ khalilm - This weekend I played a bit with developing C# apps and running them under Mono on the Pi. It was also relatively simple to get going But in the end I decided to stick with VisualGDB and C++. Since the cross compiler is gcc, it means that most Arduino libraries will compile without a hitch. It should be a breeze to re-use breakout boards with Arduino libraries in the Pi.

But like all good things there are always negatives as well. In this case (the VisualGDB option) its that it takes really long from the time that you click run until the app is compiled, linked and transferred to the Rasberry Pi. And there is almost no feedback to tell you what’s happening. One of the first things I did was to add a WAV file that plays as soon my app starts running. Now I start it, go on to other things and when I hear the WAV file play, I know its ready. It really takes that long.

@ KiwiSaner - about to start a work project that may use these little Linux machines.

Mono seems to be a good way to get going quickly, as C++/Java/Python aren’t my strengths.

Did your C# project use GPIO? Why did you go to C++? Was purely about performance?

Thanks

Yeah the cool thing with mono is that its the same exe that runs on your PC that run one the Pi as well. There is cool example that comes with mono for Pi which includes all kind of IO stuff.

Yeah, but I basically just ran a couple of the sample projects. Most of them used IO to drive an LCD and to flash an LED. Only simple stuff.

Actually performance was not even a consideration at all. The Pi runs pretty fast at 700 MHz. For example I played with some code (not Mono) that allows you to generate a PWM signal at 14 MHz.

No, my reasons for deciding to stick to to C++ is that by now I am now quote comfortable at developing C++ libraries for Arduino and have already hve a few nice ones. And since the PI also use the GCC compiler, it means I can re-use most of my existing Arduino libraries without any modifcation on the PI. And I can also tap into the large existing code base of Arduino libraries and examples that one find everywhere on the net.

I also decided that if I want to distribute my apps it is just easier if the exe can run directly on Pi without the need to first install mono and always run it under mono. And when I looked around for good examples of C# Mono programs for the Pi, I could only find very basic ones. I got the impression there are only a very small number of people that uses it at this stage and that it will be difficult to find help when you hit a snag. So I reckoned that since this will be a new learning curve for me anyway, I might as well go with the option that will be the most beneficial in the long run to me, even though I also feel more comfortable wtih C# than C++ or Python.

On a completely separate topic… one thing I find quite cool about the Pi. My Pi is connected to my WiFi network using a USB Wifi dongle. This allows me to deploy and debug code on the Pi without it being physically plugged into any computer. The app I’m working on plays some WAV files, so I have the Pi in a different room with an amplifier so I can hear them playing. And I use an SSH connection with Putty to still see my serial debug string exactly as if the Pi is here right next to me.

1 Like

Dave, since I have made the decision to start learning Embedded Linux I have been using a couple things that may interest you. take a peek at this. It sounds like its something you might like. http://visualgdb.com/

I have used it on the Beaglebone and Pi+, its one of the first tools that i have found that gave no issues and was super easy to get going. They have a 30 day demo.
They have great tutorial as well. Developing a Raspberry PI app with Visual Studio – VisualGDB Tutorials

Have come across your VersaModue name a few times lately. I think you also use or used the seulater handle too? Anyway, I am dabbling with the Spark Core just now and your handy video on setting up Netbeans was one I just setup last week. Still trying to get GDB to work with the J-LINK :frowning: Spark Core is nice but I hate having no real time debugging :frowning: NETMF rocks in this respect.

I’ve been considering this VisualGDB and I think I might go for the Custom version as it is very reasonable priced. I don’t need ultimate as it only adds Android and I am quite happy with Android Studio for that anyway.

I’ll grab the DEMO and give it a whirl this week.

@ Dave McLaughlin -

Ya, i was all for the SparkCore back then. I was able to port my Versamodule LCD code into it and had a 3.5" LCD with touch running on it. The hog in the code was the fonts. So i made another app that you could upload you fonts to the on board flash to save code space. when i switched the code from using internal to external flash it got twiggy at times.
Long story short was that there was a issue with their SPI code and sharing with the Wi-Fi module causing the problem. I gave up… Now i am pouring every moment into learning embedded linux. I am convinced that its the only way to go. Been doing embedded for so many years now. I have grown tired of dealing with buggy compilers, poor documentation and limited features. So i said hell, how could i have been so blind all of these years. Linux just works, and the boards for them are crazy cheap yet providing more CPU power per dollar. Hell, one line at the command prompt to install SAMBA which then gave my PC the ability to map my linux board as a network drive, and get access to the uSD card and all the files. Try that on anything else and if it works will be buggy.

WHOHA, man i got off on a total tangent there, sorry. I wish you the best with SparkCore, i hope they have changed allot since i left them.
I think you will really like VisualGDB. The only thing i wish is that it worked with VS Express.

@ VersaModule

If I can get remote debugging working on a Linux embedded device I will certainly be more keen to learn programming for it. It would need to be GUI based application as I need a visual interface for the end user.

I have a Ubuntu machines that’s used for Android OS building but I would prefer to be able to write and debug from my main PC. As it’s a local holiday this week and the wife is heading home with the wee lass to see her parents I may sink some time in to getting this working with the Demo version of VisualGDB.

The Spark Cores are for sensors and AC control.

You will need the time. Its my only gripe with VisualGDB. Its an extremely long process to deploy and run code in debug mode (on the Raspberry anyway… not sure about other platforms).