New mobile phone

Is this a Windows Phone only conversation? This is probably the only forum on the web where this question could get to page 3 with no mention of fruit or confectionary based phones.

197 cm is like 6’5 or 6’6 - which is still pretty tall. That’s I was getting at with my hyperbole :slight_smile:

Well I asked for Lumias (my battery killing Samsung is a WP7.x and I kinda like it).
And since I don’t like Apple stuff too much, and also Android/Linux stuff is not what I’m into, and Google is a too big player in the Mobile world atm. I stick to WP I think.

The non Lumia WP’s are currently not my 1st choice because they are currently in kind of a limbo if they want to provide OS updates or not.

@ Reinhard Ostermeier -
I read your OP as saying you had only looked at lumias so far.

I kind of agree with you about Google being too big. But I doubt a one man stand from me have much impact.

Back in the day I would have sung the praises of my old webOS Palm Pre. Six years on and nothing has come close. Even the features that every other OS has copies haven’t been poor imitations. So sad.

[quote=“hagster”]
I kind of agree with you about Google being too big. But I doubt a one man stand from me have much impact.[/quote]

One might not have a big impact, but if there are many one’s :snooty:
And if no one starts, the Big gets bigger and the One gets worthless :wink:

I am the One with no Android.
I am the One with no Facebook.
I am the One with no WhatsApp.
I am the One with no LinkedIn.
I am the One with no Apple product.
I am the One with 4 computers running MS Windows.
I am the One with an WindowsPhone.
I am the One with Internet Explorer and Bing set as default.
:smiley:

You are one that is over 40? :wink:
(yes, we have nearly identical lists)

However, I would also argue that if you have no Facebook and LinkedIn then you also have no way to spread your influence and therefore you truly count only as one very small vote.

[quote=“ianlee74”]
You are one that is over 40? ;)[/quote]
Not yet, I still have a pair of years before that.

Or another use for a “selfie stick”

I have to admit that I chose the Galaxy Note 4 and have been on the previous 3 for the same reason as the eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I have an Otterbox cover to give protection and give it some kind of chunky feel. This madness to get the thinnest phone just does not cut it for me. I’d be happy with a phone with twice the thickness as now if it had twice the battery.

Same here and has been for 1 year now. I had it before but got bored with the people who could not take a joke so now I only use Google+ for fun (mostly techy stuff anyway) and LinkedIn for work purposes.

I am the One with an Android phone.

I use Android for work development and for fun. The fact you can develop on it for free (as you can with Windows Phone too - Apple. cough and give me your money…) is great and I have been getting better at app development now. Mind you, programming these days is hard work with all the choices of language. C#, C++, Java, VB but the integrated IDE’s make life easier especially all the built in help and auto complete etc. Gone are the days of keeping a book or having to ALT-TAB back and forth to the library help to find the types of variables a function is expecting.

OK. That’s enough off topic - off topic for one day.

By the way, if you go for around a 6" phone then you won’t go back to anything smaller in the future. I tried it with the Galaxy Note 2 to Galaxy S3 but within 2 months was back with the Note 3 when it came out. I just missed the bigger screen.

I actually have a Xamarin Business license, so I like developing C# apps for android (My note 3)

I also use a free 3D game engine called the “Wave Engine” that allows for nifty sharing of projects across Windows, WIndows Phone and Android (and iOs) (the same project builds and deploys on all platforms) which makes it nice.

I usually whip up the app I want in C#.net in VS2013, running/testing it as a Windows app for convenience, then when I’m done, run the free project converter, and deploy it to my Note 3.

I think it is an awesome solution for those who want to develop in C#.Net, but would like to also use android devices. An android phone with an IOIO OTG cable can be converted into a very nice, powerful, battery powered, bluetooth/wifi display module for a gadgeteer project, with lots of built in OpenGL support.

I actually went down this road a bit for the Netduino Go, before it was more or less (seemingly) abandoned after years of promises. I had a little netmf library with a serial protocol that I could send to the phone from my Netduino, and use all the openGL functions of the phone. My idea was to be able to turn any cheap EBAY android phone into a very powerful touch display module, by just plugging in the IOIO OTG cable. Since you get get old Droid Bionics for 60$. (If you dont want to use an IOIO cable ,you can just communicate via bluetooth.)

I’m not ashamed to admit I enjoy android development as well.

@ mtylerjr - I’ll start a new thread about this as I need to build an Android app soon too.

Since I couldn’t find one, I’ve created an quick comparison table for several Lumias.

I had a 920 for the last two or so years. Great phone. I now have a 930 and it’s a better phone, and the camera is awesome. For me, both feel comfortable in the hand, but the 930 felt a little slippery so I got a cheap cover that has some texture to the edges, and that makes me feel like I’m less likely to see it fly from my hand at some inopportune time. The 830 is apparently a great phone too, I haven’t played much with them, but I’ve also heard if you do a direct comparison against a 930 you’ll opt to the lovely screen on the 930

I heard rumors that MS will reveal some more news about Windows(Phone) 10 on January, 21st.
I guess I wait till then, so I won’t buy a new phone now that might not be updateable.
Hopefully this information is part of the reveal.

I have chosen the 930, and it will most likely await me on Monday when I get back to the office :smiley:
Now all I need is a tool to convert my SIM to nano :wall:

1 Like

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Hobby knife worked for me.

@ Architect - Did you have a pattern or just luck?

I didn’t used a pattern. :slight_smile:

@ Architect - So you’re an lucky you :clap:

You know what’s the best on my new lumia 930: the price. It cost me no more than 6 hours 8)

… cool and congrats …