New mobile phone

Hi,

I’m looking for a new mobile phone.
I thought about a Lumia in the 200€ region.
Can anyone recommend or disadvise a specific type?

I’m using if mainly for phone phone calls, SMS and a little bit of eMail and Internet.
It’s not really used for taking pictures, playing fancy 3D games or social media.
But an average Camera would be good anyway.

So far I had the Samsung W7 with WinPhone 7.8.
The same size (or may be a little bit more would be fine.
Samsung W7 has a 92mm display and is about 115x60mm in total size.
I’d say max 5" display is good. not more.

Thank you for any advise.

Nokia Lumia 925.

Any phone at that price will do what you want. However, have in mind, that once you move from dumbphone to smartphone, you’ll probably quickly realize that you want [em]a lot more[/em], than calling, texting and browsing :slight_smile:

Lumias are good, indeed.

I’m still using (and loving) my Lumia 920. If you want to save some money, they can be found super cheap on eBay. However, if you want something newer then I agree with the 925. Although, I personally plan to move up to the 1520 line when I upgrade next for this one simple reason…

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - I used the Lumia 925 for 18 months and love it. Highly recommended.

If you (or anyone else on this thread) do decide to get a 1520, take my advice and ALWAYS use a heavy-duty case on it.

I mostly love my 1520, but the screen is currently covered in clear packing tape while I try to figure out what to do about the SECOND screen I’ve smashed. The first time was just stupidity on my part, a 4-5 foot drop from my shirt pocket when I went for a jump shot outside with my son. Very few phones (even my old 920) would likely survive that.

But the screen cracked again with a very short drop (less than 2 feet) onto the bleachers at my son’s basketball game, and completely shattered less than a day later, presumably from flexing.

IMO, the 1520 does not have a stiff enough frame for the size of its screen, so absent a really good case, there’s a strong likelihood of screen breakage. A real bummer, since it’s a gorgeous phone (I have yellow), and a powerhouse.

I’m probably going to save my pennies and get something in the 5" range. 6" screen is great for aging eyes, but I still have to use my reading glasses with it for the most part, so the tradeoffs aren’t as worthwhile as I’d expected.

The 92X (5-8) is a great phone. I’ve had the 928 (verizon’s version) pretty much since it came out and love it.

@ devhammer - Thanks for the tip. As we’ve discussed offline, my wife recently shattered the screen on her 920 by dropping it. I’ll be replacing the glass on it this weekend…

I really don’t want the larger screen that the 10xx line provides. I’m perfectly happy with the 9xx size. But, I do want the 10xx camera. The perfect phone would be a 9xx with a 10xx camera.

The 1520 is a bit too expensive I guess (Price Needs to be approved by my Boss).
Also 6" is quite big I think.
But the 930 sounds not too bad too.

Oh my! I didn’t realize they HAVE put the 20MP camera into a 9xx phone. Time to upgrade… :smiley:

Nokia Lumia 930 has an amazing 20MP camera. I have iPhone 6 and Lumia 930. Overall, I like my iPhone more, but camera in Nokia is way much better.

I have a Lumia 925 and I don’t want to go back to the iPhone 4S I had before. A nice navigation system is included and I have the Office implementations with Word and Excel. And very important for future projects: I can build my own Apps in C# and it supports communication with Bluetooth 2.x. and BLE.

930 is a great phone, and probably ideal from a size perspective, and has the 20MP camera. BUT…as far as I’m aware, since it’s not made for US networks, you may not be able to get LTE speeds with it in the US.

Hmm, that would be a problem … if I would live in the US :whistle:
But since I’m from Germany :dance:

The price is nice, but it’s too big for me. I’m only 197 cm tall :whistle:

That is a bummer. I guess I’ll hold out a little longer :wink:

Which carrier are you on as the Lumia Icon is pretty much exactly a 930 (different OS version being the biggest difference, but with updates that difference goes away) and the Icon is an exclusive to Verizon.

If I was to get a new phone now I’d be looking at the 1520 as it still fits in the shirt pocket, but is easier on the old eyes. Friend of mine here in Calgary loves his.

Wow looking at the prices of the 930 ( OmegaCell.com is for sale | HugeDomains ), I hope the wife doesn’t see those or I’ll be off buying her a 930 as I got her a Lumia 635 a couple of months ago and now she is a hard core Windows Phone convert. Fortunately they are Nokias and so even after she sent her’s for a little swim, its still working like a champ, you just can’t kill a Nokia phone.

I use StraightTalk (AT&T).

[quote]Wow looking at the prices of the 930 ( http://www.omegacell.com/products/nokia-lumia-930-rm-1045 ), I hope the wife doesn’t see those or I’ll be off buying her a 930 as I got her a Lumia 635 a couple of months ago and now she is a hard core Windows Phone convert. Fortunately they are Nokias and so even after she sent her’s for a little swim, its still working like a champ, you just can’t kill a Nokia phone.
[/quote]

I bought my wife a 920 at the same time I bought mine and she loves hers too with one really BIG exception. No one has made their credit card readers (i.e. Square, PayPal, etc.) compatible yet. Well, except for one company that wanted outrageous monthly fees… Since she is a independent Scentsy consultant, this is a big problem. So, I ended up having to buy her an Android tablet just for this purpose. :frowning:

Must be nice to just reach up and hold your phone above the nearby buildings whenever your reception is poor :slight_smile:

They must have very short buildings where you live?

(Did the original poster edit this from Meters to Centimeters by any chance?)