New EMX Firmware Updater Application

We put together an EMX updater application. It will erase the device then update TinyBooter and Firmware from the SDK.
So when the firmware needs to be updated, just run this application. No need for Tera Term or MFDeploy.
Hopefully, this will make things easier.

UPDATE
The EMXUpdater.exe is now part of the GHI NETMF and .NET Gadgeteer package. Which is #3 under system preparation.

Edit: This is now part of the SDK.

Aha, thank you! I’ll give it a try.

I don’t know but would it be possible that this tool could also update GHI references in all projects of a selected VS solution?

I’ve just tried it. Godd job!
But the EMX picture seems cropped.

@ Wouter no, not yet. Maybe in future.

Good stuff! Just tried with Vista, Win 7 no service pak 1 and with service pak 1 and all worked. Without service pak 1 it took a few tries but otherwise much Freakin’ Easier!

This should have been under the USBizi installer thread but I clicked the wrong one and still haven’t figured out how to delete a message.

Anywho, good work.

The application is updated with more options like “Cancel” and get version number.

Nice application. Would be nice to have link on EMX Module product downloads page.

Good point, I needed to download the tool yesterday and the only place I could find the link was the forum.

So good thing to note, I had both my EMX and my Panda I connected. This is apparently bad :-[
The process went pretty crazy so I figured i’d post the log up. It didn’t seem to touch the Panda at all.

– Log –
Connecting to device…
EMX found at Port#: COM13
GHI Bootloader Version: 1.02

Device will be updated automatically! DO NOT disconnect or turn off the device!
Erasing…
Erase successful!
Updating TinyBooter. Please wait…
Update successful!
Disconnecting COM13
Rebooting…
Updating Firmware. Please wait…
Deploying C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR.HEX
… fail!
Deploying C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\CLR2.HEX … successful!
Deploying C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\EMX\Firmware\Config.HEX … successful!
Rebooting…
Detected more than one device. Make sure only one device is connected

I got the same message several times.

Second question, perhaps this belongs elsewhere.

I have been flashing them manually, TeraTerm and MFDeploy. Since this new application exists and I am lazy, is there any way to save the MAC address between flashes? For now I just have an Excel sheet with the numbers stored on them.

I noticed it has the same behavior as MFDeploy, the default MAC address gets set. Not too fun when you have 2+ Cobra boards attached and you don’t realize this is happening :slight_smile:

We will fix this msg in next version. Now, try to disconnect the Panda while updating EMX , I think it should work.

Yes, it worked perfectly. Thanks Dat!