As most of you know by now, I am desperate to get some sound into my Gadgeteer projects, and it has not been successful yet.
The current GHI module is based on the VS1053 chip which is ok.
Danibjor suggest upgrading to VS1063 - see for example http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/epages/Planeetta.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/vlsi/Products/VS1063_simple_dsp
But the core issues are as follows:
- plays with noise and hiccups - very much depending on fast cpu and transfer of data
- has a dc overlay on the headphone output, and cannot be connected to an amplifier
- cannot be disabled when not in use, to save power
DFRobot module is only a little better:
- still noise
- even at zero volume, while not playing it eats too much power and makes noise in speakers.
- very limited interface to the cpu on the board
- cpu and storage on board making it simple to use
- built in small amp so it can power small speakers
I need ideas on where to go from here…
- low power
- line out
- could be nice with a small amp to power small speakers
- option to disable/turn off
- headphone out
- line in
- mic in