NETMF VS2013 error 0x80131700

I have a large amount of code that has been running scientific instruments for the last 10+ years. Now a critical component is no longer available so I must mod the code. This was written in NETMF 4.3.1, and contained modules in both C# and VB.

I have been struggling trying to use my programming environment that has seen several VS versions upto 2022 installed since editing this older code. Currently, when I try to build any of the older code on VS2013, for example, I get this error:

Error 1 compiler initialization failed unexpectedly: Project already has a reference to assembly mscorlib. A second reference to ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.3\Assemblies\le\mscorlib.dll’ cannot be added. D:\Projects\Software Development\NET.MF\Current\NET Library\CommonMicro\vbc CommonMicro.

This happens on all the VB modules in the solution, but not the C#.

After spending many hours chasing broken links regarding NETMF, and checking the fixes that I did find, I figured that it would be better to start fresh on a new virtual PC.

I followed the GHI documentation to install VS2013, and all the additional NETMF and Gadgeteer modules in a Win10 Hyper-V instance. To see if this had been correct, I built a Gadgeteer app with a Raptor, display, and USB. It has no code other than the startup “Program started” print.

If you look at the error list, it says Error 1 0x80131700 c:\users\rocky\onedrive - inc\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\GadgeteerApp5\GadgeteerApp5\MMP GadgeteerApp5

If I create the same program in C#, same result. I have also updated the virtual HyperV image to see if that would fix the error as one site suggested. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. strong text

Thanks,

Rocky

did you installed VSIX for .NET MICRO

if not you can take here with all install instruction

last version for .NET MicroFramework is VS2019
http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Articles/VS2019Templates.aspx

version for VS2017
http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Articles/VS2017SDK.aspx

for others (my person collection)

Thank you very much. Two questions:

1. I am also developing with TinyClr 2.0, and running VS2022. Will this compromise running your VSIX for earlier VS versions addressed by this patch? Or should I have separate machines for each?
  2. Does this solve the Visual Basic errors regarding mscorlib.dll and NETMF?
    Again, thanks
    Rocky

no you need to install two separate instance

first install VS2015 Community or VS2017 Community
and later install another one VS 2022

on first install tools needed for .NET Microframework (VS2015 or VS2017)
on second install tools needed for TinyCLR 2.0 (VS2022)

and you will able to use two different platforms on same macine without any issues

for example i run
onto VS2017 with TinyCLR 1.0 (with disable auto update) and MicroFramework and
onto VS2022 i use TinyCLR 2.0

Thanks very much. Are you able to develop in VB on either of those platforms?
Rocky

MicroFramework yes ?

TinyCLR not tried (and i don’t know did it support it)

Hi: Answer is yes and no. Yes I can run the simple example you show above.
My problem is when I get to much more complex problems, particularly ones that have separate modules of VB and C# (usually for hardware specific targets), I get “could not find library 'Microsoft.visualbasic.dll” giving the location, where the file really is located.
I am attaching the screengrab:

Funny thing is, I can build a simple module in VB.
Also, Gadgeteer projects do not have a template.
Additionally it the project was with netmf 4.4 I do not get this error, just 4.3

Slow progress, but some.
Now when I try to rebuild some of my subprojects that are in C#, and running VS2019, NETMF 4.4, I get this error:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error **CS1617 Invalid option ‘7.3’ for /langversion; must be ISO-1, ISO-2, 3, 4, 5 or Defaul**t ADXL355i K:\svn08202018\NETMF\NETMF 4.4\Sensors\ADXL355i\CSC 1 Active

I have looked at VS2019 and cannot find an option to change langversion. When I go to Advanced build Settings, it says Language version automatically selected based on framework version. The link on why says to edit .cspro file for the app. I cannot find a langversion reference there, so do not know how to proceed.

Help greatly appreciated.

I don’t believe GHI ever supported Mf 4.4?

need to fix this by adding this part

and latest fix for VB is

http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Articles/VBinMF44.aspx

it can work may on .NET MF 4.3 too

1 Like