NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R2 Beta-3 (NEW) is out?

I noticed that ‘NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2014 R2 Beta-3 (NEW)’ has been out for a couple of days but didn’t see any announcement in the news section of the Forum?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/support/netmf/sdks

Could GHI please explain why this new Beta-3 is almost half the size of the previous Beta-2?

In other words, should we install this new Beta-3 on top of Beta-2 as an incremental update?
Or should we uninstall the previous Betas first?

My guess would be that size reduction is because of “Removed the GameO emulator”.

Still no support for VS2013 :frowning:

That was not hidden by accident. Please do not use and delete if you have downloaded and wait for official announcement.

andre.m, guys from Secret Labs has provided an experimental support for VS2013. You can make bare NEMF 4.3 run on VS2013, there is a guidance how to do it. I did it and it worked for me, but that just NETMF, not Gadgeteer.

Too late! It’s out :slight_smile:

No hacks used here :whistle:

@ andre.m - ::slight_smile:

@ Gus - I am sorry! I blew the whistle too soon!

Could GHI please explain why this new Beta-3 is almost half the size of the previous Beta-2?

@ andre.m - Oh Boy! The discontinued products amount to this many megabytes?

@ Sambo - They are the result of some of the size difference. The majority of the difference comes from the fact that we download some parts only if they needed. Currently, if the user needs the Micro Framework SDK or Gadgeteer Core, or has selected either of the loader updaters, those will be downloaded from our site during the install. If an internet connection is not available during install, it will error and show you the links to download to manually install.

Does this mean I can select the modules to install in the beta 3 installer ?
would be great :dance:

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - to an extent. You can deselect Gadgeteer and NETMF 4.2 from being installed. For a bare install, Micro Framework SDK, our NETMF 4.3 SDK, FEZ Config, and USB Drivers will be installed. Gadgeteer core will only be installed if you choose to install our Gadgeteer drivers.

@ John - That’s really great.
Can I select a “Runtime only” Install. That installs only FEZConfig and USB Drivers?
Or does this happen if I install it on a system without VS installed and deselect all options?

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - For no, now. We will be looking into VS detection in a future beta possibly. We will also be looking into a FEZ Config + USB Drivers only option, but no promises there yet.

@ John - Ok, any advise how to add the drivers to a blank system, so it is installed automatically when USB is connected.
I want to have them on any shipped system, so a FW/Bootloader update can be done easily

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Without using our installer you mean?

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - If so, I can think of two ways.

You could create your own installer using the Wix toolset and difxapp with our driver files.

The second, and probably easier way, is to use DPInst (DIFx Guidelines - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn). You can find DPInst in the Windows driver development kit. Once you install that, you can find dpinst.exe in a path similar to C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\redist\DIFx\dpinst\EngMui\amd64. Just take dpinst.exe only and place it in a separate folder with our four driver files that you can find by installing our SDK once. Run dpinst.exe and it will install any drivers found in the same folder as it. You could possibly automate that with a batch file and distribute the exe and our drivers to your machines. Once you install the drivers that way, you will see two new entries in the Programs and Features part of the control panel and the drivers should work as normal.

The second method appears to register the drivers properly, but we cannot test or support either method in any way nor can we say how it will interact with a future install of our SDK or if it will work with FEZ Config.

1 Like

@ John - That’s more help than I had expected. Thank you.
I’ll give it a try.
Since I can already distribute the GHI assemblies with my very own VS plugin, I can work with several SDK’ versions in parallel then, without installing the whole SDK on all machines, if this works.
This will raise acceptance by my colleges quite a lot :clap:

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Happy to help