NETMF 4.2 ...even VB support

There are reasons we are not rushing into 4.2 and that is one of them. Express is a must have for a lot of members of this community.

When I started at the university I got into using VB as it was easier to teach students to accomplish something useful in a single class period. I have found C# to really be no more difficult, the syntax is slightly different, and there are a few things which each language accomplishes is different ways but essentially it is not hard to move from one to the other.

Understanding both languages is a huge benefit, no matter what your favorite one is, as it opens up a lot of additional resources. Looking for an answer when your working on a VB program and you find a great post talking bout the same thing but with C# example code; no problem you can read it and understand the idea and rewrite it in VB.

Jeff… I started with VB6… VB2010 is virtually a different language for me… It might as well be C++, I can hardly get my head round it…

The differences between the 2 languages has narrowed with every release of the framework. Remaining diffs do stand out in some places, like how c# handles pointers by default. I personally like the plethora of function overrides in the latter, which can shorten code considerably (e.g. when bit banging). They are sitting on the same IL, though… Devs who prefer one or the other generally brag about ‘feature’ differences whenever a new framework goes to beta, but this is mostly hot air. Preference usually boils down to what base language you were “brought up” on. It will be interesting to see how they match up in NETMF.

+1 [quote]Understanding both languages is a huge benefit[/quote]

Ian, don’t worry you will get there. I always like to suggest that folks start out by concentrating on the idea of what you are trying to accomplish, not how you want to accomplish it. Once you mentally separate the two then programming language you use is not as important. Loops are loops, bit operators are bit operators, the syntax matters little.

Since c# Is really the red headed step-child of Java doesn’t that really make it #1?

Still no generics. :frowning:

No I don’t really expect them, I’m just so used to using them in my desktop and web development that it is sometimes difficult to remember how I did things before generics.

any idea when this will be released for fez?

not yet…

from the first post

I am very excited about this release! I am assuming this will address the Double.Parse(string) issue? Unfortunately the number is coming in on a UART from a device which I have no developer access to :frowning:

The bug I speak of is this one [url]http://netmf.codeplex.com/workitem/788[/url]

4.2 RC1 is out and the RTM should be out at the end of the month!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just hoping that the VB.Net support will not affect/limit/reduce the current resources that are available on the more then fantastic GHI FEZ boards…my 2 cents

I started developing with VB.Net, but quickly made the move to C#, and I’m not planning to go back ever.

It shouldn’t so no worries.

thanks for clarifying Gus :wink:

Any timeline on 4.2 with VB support?

Will be in 1Q 2012 as it stands now but things can change

I believe that Microsoft has not released the golden for 4.2 yet. I think the latest was a second release candiate in August?

Yes NETMF 4.2 is not released yet

Sorry, late to this discussion, but do they plan to support F# as well? I’d plan to use F# to express the math equations used for inverse kinematics.

No to F#. Nice idea, though! Would be great for certain kinds of low level stuff we do with NETMF.