Netduino

A new mainboard on the market!

Interesting considering I had a discussion with Chris about this last week and he said it was not in the roadmap… :wink:

EDIT: On second glance this doesn’t actually appear to be a Gadgeteer board. Just has the same form factor…

[“Modify” wasn’t working…]

Something screwy is going on with the forum… Modify wasn’t working a minute ago. Now the title of this post has been chopped. It used to be titled “Netduino GO! Gadgeteer Mainboard by Secret Labs”…

Is the new site upgrade in progress? If so, it might be better to just take the site down.

Yes the forum os acting strange today. So the new board is plain netduino plus with the ability to connect gadgeteer modules and use them thru pure net mf?

Here’s the only info I could find.

That doesn’t seem clear… It looks like maybe it only uses the same socket & cables which is sure to prove confusing for everyone.

I really don’t understand the point of creating this confusion. Clearly design is taken from Gadgeteer. Why not follow the standard. Same applies for “Go” modules:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&asin=&seller=A15S1YSPRYIXOQ

Be prepared to be flooded with “why won’t my GHI module work on my GO! board???” posts…

you should post it on netduino forum

@ ianlee - Who is Chris? If you have a relationship with him, maybe you could suggest he post a blurb to answer Architect’s question. I will be a little more blunt… seems to me a bad idea to imitate rather than collaborate. Other more colorful terms come to mind in place of ‘bad idea’.

Chris Walker is one of the main guys behind Netduino (Secret Labs president?) Not exactly sure what his staff title is. I don’t know him personally. We had a brief email discussion following this thread…

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/20/6450/

Chris, if you’re on here we’d all love to hear more about why netduino decided to immitate vs embrace Gadgeteer.

All the disadvantages of Gadgeteer, with none of the advantages (the main one being wide compatibility).

At least it’s another open-source STM32 port. The Cerberus and Cerb40 form factors are much more interesting, to me, at least, and more affordable as well.

I had to laugh when I started the video. The gentleman has a t-shirt with a big G on it, but instead of having a square border, as the Gagdeteer logo, it has has a round border.

Reminded me McDowell’s from “Coming to America”

Does anyone have any information on the “go!bus” that the modules use? Do they provide regular GPIOs that can be used normally, a la the extender module?

It seems to me that the fact that you can move modules around arbitrarily means there’s something more complex going on in the cables…

Not many details at all … ???

Just what we needed … an almost compatible. >:(

-Eric

This will bring the excitement back I hope http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/21/6611

With open source incompatibility is a feature not a problem.

Pete Brown and I just exchanged a couple of tweets on this and I have a better idea what it is now. There are no specialized sockets with the GO, they are all plug and play.

Conceptually this sounds very intriguing to me.

-Eric

When you say “no specialized sockets”, does that mean that every socket has I2C? SPI? UART? GPIO? PWM? Analog? How is all that multiplexed out?

Do you have to know, for example, that sockets 3 and 8 share the same UART, and therefore cannot both be used at the same time for something that needs UART?

Is there a visual designer?

Reading the forum postings it seems that they have virtualized all of the I/Os … not many details yet on how this works.

-Eric