.NET references vs GHIElectronics references

I’m still trying to get the hang of .net micro framework and the one simple thing that should help me is a simple(or should be simple) understanding of the references needed when programming the different devices GHI offers. My question is this: How do I know when to use a GHI reference over a Microsoft reference and vice versa?

I have recently move from a Panda II to a Cobra and I am having a difficult knowing which assembly to use. Is there a quick way(or reference) that I can use to get this information? I constantly use the Microsoft and GHI websites for information on the API’s but a lot of the time this causes more confusion. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

I don’t know a simple way to describe this - the below might help or it might not, I don’t know. It really depends on what you are struggling with.

If the board you’re using is a Panda, then you want to use the Panda reference; if you swwitch to a Cobra, you remove the Panda ref and add the Cobra.

If the function you are using is from GHI’s list of things they added, then you need to add an appropriate GHI reference.

If the function you are using is a core NetMF function, then you need to add the appropriate reference from the netmf.

I also would like add that there are practically no intersections in functionality between MS assemblies and GHI. GHI adds features to the core of MF that is provided by MS. The is one exception for smaller devices (Mini, Panda, Panda II and Rhino). I am talking about related Http libraries. These are provided by MS, but for smaller devices it has to be done differently and that is why GHI has its own implementation.

I have a poster on my wall (I don’t remember where did I get it from, probably PDC) that shows .Net assemblies in a very nice graphical way. It was and still very helpful. It would be great to have something similar for MF and GHI libraries as well.