.NET Gadgeteer Builder Templates only for C#?

Can anyone confirm that [em].NET Gadgeteer Builder Templates[/em] are not compatible with VB.NET? Or is just me?
I really don’t want to switch to C#.

Hi:
I don’t have a specific answer but as a VB programmer, I feel your pain.
I frequently take blocks of C# and convert to VB which is easier for me to read. I use Convert C# to VB.NET - A free code conversion tool - developer Fusion for this conversion and the reverse. If I had to write a Gadgeteer module I would develop and debug in VB, then translate to C# and plug it into the C# template.

I have often wished that Visual Studio has a button that would translate back and forth between C# and VB. I do not think it would be a large challenge to build.

As more VB programmers become visible working in NETMF, I think these issues will be resolved.

Good luck

I have used that tool many times, but it is far from perfect. Fun begins when converted code is not working, trying to find an issue takes hours of pain.

Unfortunately I feel that more and more people are going with C# instead of VB and that it is slowly dying. I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

I absolutely agree. VB was great in its day and the C# UI Toolbox and language was probably to a great deal inspired by the original VB. But nowadays it is not what I would recommend to anyone starting out into programming. I think you will benefit greatly by just accepting the learning curve of adapting to C#.

I originally came from the C++ niche.
Back then I thought: “Who needs C# (or even .NET) when there is C++”.
Then I tried .NET in C++: Extremely complicated syntax (This was in the .NET 1.1 times).
A bit later (the .NET 2.0 times, VS 2005) I thought, why don’t give C# a chance.
It ended in rewriting my 3/4 finished and already working industrial image processing software in C#.
Nowadays I wouldn’t want to switch back if not absolutely necessary.

I also worked with a similar thing to VB 6 at my C++ times (Sax Basic was it’s name, a cheaper embeddable VB clone).
I never really liked the VB syntax, so I think VB programmer might disagree with my next statement, but it’s my opinion:

C# takes the best from C++, VB and may be a little Java, and removes some of the trap holes (specially from C++).

But I also understand that a switch form VB to C# must be a pain at the beginning. Would be the same for me the other way around.

For me it’s simple: VB allows me to write regular applications (C# has no advantage here as everything that can be done with C#, can be replicated with VB), VB allows me to program microcontrollers (except few minor things like bit shift operators that are not supported, there is no need to know C#) and VB allows me to script (Excel VBA, CAD, Coreldraw, VBScript etc.). So VB satisfies all my needs, one language solves it all. The only issue I have with VB (that’s also applicable to C#) is that I cannot protect my code from reverse engineering. But that’s a small trade-off, I guess.

Anyway, back to my original question. Is there anything I can do to have those templates working in VB.NET?

As far as I know templates are mainly a couple of xml files, which VS load on startup from a specific folder…
You could try to rewrite the templates for VB.
Never made any templates on my own. Normally you would download the VS SDK, and create a VS Template project (output is usually a plugin installer (.visx or so).
I’m sure you can find this project in the Gadgeteer sources somewhere.
But the chance to get it working locally by coping the right xml flies and modifying them is not too bad.