Native TCP/IP support and in-field update on all GHI-NETMF products

In case you haven’t seen this original post [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/15/947/[/url]

Please only use the “Beta Release” board to discuss [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/12/[/url] or reply to this post.

Wow great news. Will TCP/IP work with the Sparkfun Ethernet shield? Both boards using the same WizNet chip and look similar.

It will work with ANY board with wiznet W5100 chip :wink:

I’ve said it before. Freakin Awesome, you guys. Joe you deserve a medal !

And was it really the 4am hour in the time zone when you were posting this Gus? If so, you deserve a medal - Joe can hand his back for being the network hero (sorry Robert, it’s a fickle wind!)

(edit: corrected driver guru :))

It was Joe who developed the drivers not Robert :slight_smile:

And yes, 4AM is where my day started :smiley: Too many fun things to take care of today

Awesome work guys will be loading it up today.

One question when are level interrupts going to be finished. I need to do some work with a certain distance sensor and was looking to use the interrupt clear part so i could ignore faint echo coming back while processing the first measurement.

level interrupt should not hold your progress… You know when the signal is high or low through some flags if needed.

This is on the bottom of our list as of now but we will get to it eventually

I thought I had grabbed an ethernet shield as I was leaving for work today, but it turned out to be an Arduino. So, I will not be able to try out the new ethernet code until tonight.

I looked at the doucmentation and saw that W5100 enable command needed three parameters; SPI Module, CS pin and reset pin.

For an Arduino shield:

• I believe the SPI module 1 is used.
  • For the CS pin, Di10 is used on the Domino.

I am a bit confused on the reset pin. Looking at the schemetic for the ethernet shield, the reset pin is the same on used for processor. I could wire a pin to the reset pin, but I would think if I exercised the reset pin the processor as well as the W5100 would be reset.

I guess the reset pin connection between the processor and the W5100 could be cut, by removing the header leg, and then the W5100 could be reset without impacting the processor.

I suppose a lot of my questions will be answered by the first example published, But why wait that long? :slight_smile:

LOL! Yes Mike, you have it all figured out. Reset can be optional but if you want reliability then the pin will be bent out so it doesn’t connect to FEZ and then a small wire can connect reset of the Ethernet shield to any IO on FEZ.

Example is up [url]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/15/947/[/url]

[quote]level interrupt should not hold your progress… You know when the signal is high or low through some flags if needed.

This is on the bottom of our list as of now but we will get to it eventually [/quote]

Thats what i am doing currently. I was just asking so I know if i need to revisit it soon or not.

Yes no worries. Obviously in-field update and Ethernet support are higher priority but we will get to level interrupts sooner or later. Priority features are the ones you can’t work around :smiley:

Hi Gus,

Sorry if I commented on a read-only thread, I got confused for a second ::slight_smile:

At any rate, IFU is going to be great for the stuff you sell in enclosures, like the Cobra. No more need to disassemble the enclosure to update the FW!

I agree, that IFU looks very cool.
And love to see how to do it on my FEZ mini.

Is there any guides for IFU so far?

The beta has documentation

IFU doc: http://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/NETMF_Beta/Library%20Documentation/html/53c9fe92-8150-bd36-e2de-bf4fc6f13f8f.htm

Will the two new MS 4.1 TCP stacks not work with fez internet board? Just wondering what stack (MS or fez) is best to spend time on going forward. tia

The NETMF stack is used on cobra but will not fit on smaller FEZes and if it did fit you will end up with no resources left to do anything useful.

The good news is that on your end, this will make no difference. We do the hard work so you only use networking easily…use GHI or other stack is in the underlaying layers. To end developers, this is just .NET sockets.

Just doing some searching, but having some trouble finding examples, if they exist.

I’m interested in being able to update EMX firmware remotely, over an internet connection, preferably a WiFi connection.

Is there any specific documentation on this?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.