My FEZ Magic Radio

@ FireFate - Cool! Your neighbors are gonna love it :wink:

So Iā€™m getting pretty far in my migration to the Cerb40 for a more modular approach. Still have about 6 more wires to add to the breadboard to verify I donā€™t have any interrupt conflicts etcā€¦

Eagle schematic is almost there. The PCB will have headers for the Cerb40, with the SD reader and Music Module on Gadgeteer jacks. There will also be a WiFly (Xbee) jack on the board. Other parts will be populated as needed.

The idea is I can reuse the PCB for peripheral WiFi controlled accessories, like the RGB lamp I rigged up in the attached picture. The radio will be the centerpiece, and the peripheral devices will be controlled by it and/or an Android app in the future.

I only have 1 Cerb40 IO pin left unassignedā€¦ but I was also thinking Iā€™d expose a couple MOSFET outputs that could run a DC geared motor or something. I suppose I could run the XBee socket GPIO pins to an expansion jack as well.

Any of you guys have other cool ideas I might be missing while I finalize the PCB??

2 Likes

Tesla coil?

See?!? I canā€™t believe I missed that!!! Good thing I consulted with the pros lol.

@ FireyFate - I think that you must wait for rotating leds by Gus ā€¦ thatā€™s will be really a big advance !!! Ahahahah

Yep, the propeller

Well, I gotta admit there were some hiccups and a learning curve migrating to Cerb, but Iā€™ve got all my necessary functions verified. Time to get that PCB routed!

On a side note, itā€™s a bummer that there is no Watchdog or Hibernate for the Cerb line. Not a knock against GHI, Iā€™m a fan for sureā€¦ but I was thinking it would be awesome if there were a way to sell a premium version of the Cerb40 since itā€™s so well suited for small embedded projects that donā€™t justify a more full featured offering.

I guess there would have to be some sort of hardware difference to prevent somebody just flashing the OSHW version with the Premium firmware. Iā€™d definitely pay more for a Premium Cerb40 thoughā€¦ and maybe a dozen of them lol. Maybe around the $35-40 mark to come in under the G120.