My Brewery

Just a thanks to all the people who have shared things and made this possible. Many hours reading this forum. Me and my buddy made a home brewery with a Panda II, 2 x 5500 watt water heaters controlled by Solid state relays, DS18B20 temp sensors and touch screen controller. Works like a champ. We are on batch 14 now and it’s tasting pretty good! Gotta love technology. :smiley:

5 Likes

Now, that is the proper use for Fez boards! :smiley:
Awesome!

This is great! It is worth a video explaining the process :wink:

Nice! I’m feelin’ thirsty now…

Maybe I’ll make a little vid during our next brew. Not sure what was more fun ,building it, or brewing. Think we might brew Sunday, so maybe I’ll play amature videographer and see how I do. It is pretty cool that it can keep around 5 gallons of liquid at +=0.5 degrees. Makes you wonder how the monks make such good beer?

Isn’t “drinking” missing in the list ? :smiley:

#################################################

Pop in the TinyCLR community IRC channel and ask/chat

about whatever you want.

Details here: http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=7210

#################################################

How about sending some samples to GHI for the awsome job they are doing? :slight_smile:

@ Oversteer - Outstanding fella - Fez enabled Lager is a top use.

@ Gralin - That could backfire somewhat - they might sample the Fez enable Lager, get grand ideas about becoming a high tech Fez Micro brewery, simple the golden nectar, become alcoholics and start producing boards with wobbly traces and 8 bit micros :slight_smile:

That’s sweet ! Tell me, how do you do the temperature probes, are they shielded and immersed? I’ve always wondered about foodsafe temperature measurement in lo-tech (home hacker) scenarios - one project somewhere on my list is to build a sous vide cooker, and while everything cooked is in a bag I also wanted to start by improving the temperature holding of an electric wok, which really needs something foodsafe…

I used temp probe ends from here: http://www.oscsys.com/store/product/1001680 The DS18B20 sensors fit nicely, and I used phone line for the wire, which is a pretty snug fit. Solder the DS18B20 to the wires, add a little heat sink compound to the end of the IC and slide it in. Finished with some heat shrink tubing and you have a nice temp probe. Then use a compression fitting: 1/2" NPT x 1/4" Tube Compression adapter with silicone o-rings in place of the normal compression fitting to go into the kettle to make it water tight. I installed some phone jacks on my control box so I could easily disonnect the probes. Also found a neat little pump you may want for sous vide… http://www.lightobject.com/High-temperature100-39C-1LMin-mini-DC-Water-Pump-FDA-approval-Ideal-for-coffee-maker-or-other-food-process-application-P510.aspx not sure if it will work, but I bought one and seems to be a decent little pump for the price. It is little though.

Next time I am in Michigan I’ll have to bring a couple of beers for the GHI crew! Not sure if shipping homebrew is legal :wink: If I bring my imperial porter they will have figure-8 traces on all the new boards.

Or GHI gets a road trip to study how to make a FEZ brewer :wink:

Doors are open! If you make it to Wilmington, NC look me up :wink:

@ Oversteer - is the precise temp control for mashing? Very nice setup!

Yup you got it! Gotta keep the grains happy. Thanks for the kudos.

Thanks for the pointers on the brewing supplies to search for - now to find someone in AU who has them.