Multicolor Led DaisyLink module (Arduino style)

Keeping the firmware on a DL device is another big can of worms that I’ve brought up on a couple of other threads that no one else seems interested in discussing. I assume this is because there really is only one DL module out so far. Ultimately, I think the Gadgeteer documents need to allow for this through the cable connections so that it can be upgraded directly through the PC. I can definitely see the difficulty in that though.

What I’m talking about is being able to put the initial firmware on the TQFP form ATMegaxxx chip. I have a Boarduino which is small, cheap, and simple to use for programming the big DIP chips. However, those chips are too big to make a nice small module. What I envision is a ZIF type socket (for TQFP ATMega) mounted on a PCB that I can then insert into the ZIF socket (for DIP) on my Boarduino that I could use to program TQFP chips with from my Boarduino (or really any duino…). Am I dreaming or is there really a good reason this wouldn’t work? I think the TQFP chips run at 3V3. So, there would have to be some voltage dividers & transistors on the PCB to adjust accordingly but it seems somewhat trivial. There are more pins on the TQFP chip but for programming, I suspect we could get away with not having them all mapped out.

Ahh ok. I understand :slight_smile:

Most companies use pads on the board and programmers with pogo sticks or other contacts on them to do the programming (IIRC, SparkFun did a video or blog post on that sometime this year or last).

That way you can have an assembly house put the chips on for you, and then you program them once they come back.

You could also use one of the ZIF TQFP sockets (TQFP socket - Bing images ) , but they’re somewhat expensive, and you’d need to build a board around them with appropriate circuitry for the programming (which may be as simple is power plus breaking out the JTAG or other programming pins).

I’ll see if I can find that pogo pin video/post

Pete

DaisyLink doesn’t use all the pins on sockets. This is THE way to upgrade firmware on an existing daisy link module. I have two blog articles in the work.

Part 1 will explain DaisyLink in details and my AVR implementation.
Part 2 will show how to load Arduino bootloader and sketch on a module with an "empty"mcu.

Not sure for Netduino. I have tried to do software I2C based DaisyLink on Panda II - too slow. I am not giving up though. Next to try is RLP and we might have a decent FEZ based DaisyLink prototyping solution.

Btw, You can reprogram GHI’s multicolor led module very easily. You only need 4 pins (beside 2 supply pins) and they are exposed through the socket

Why? Other than just a PoC… I struggle with understanding how this could be useful. The hardest part of DL is the firmware code and I can’t imagine any module using a $40+ FEZ as a DL controller. Even for prototyping you would still end up having to totally re-write it to the language of the final MCU. So, I don’t think you gain much by going through the exercise. But, I guess it would be fun to have in your bag of goodies.

Pete, this may be the adapter I was looking for… :wink:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/01/27/diy-smd-to-through-hole-blob-hack/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

[quote]Pete, this may be the adapter I was looking for
[/quote]

My first thought when I saw that was “Ahhhhhhh! Face hugger!”

:slight_smile:

Pete

@ Ian

Dat is some seriously ugly soldering. Makes me feel like a real pro by comparison.

BTW - everybody should stop back by @ Architect’s blog if you haven’t been lately…he just did some spiffing up around the place…looks real nice!

@ Architect - Looks good. Those are the new Blogger dynamic views, right? How did you hide the Blogger bar at the top?

Yes it is new google template. Bar behavior comes with the template.

nm