Modules Wishlist?

Hello folks

I was wondering, if there is a Module Wishlist. In case some ppl from the community have ideas for additional Modules.
I couldn’t find anything on the website of Forum about it.
So maybe one could make a official Thread for that or a implementation on the website to submit a suggestion.

I’d like to make such a suggestion ^.^

greez evi

@ evul - Start the ball rolling and post your suggestion here :wink:
You could always update your first post with replies as a start.

Good suggestion. And maybe people can add a 'LIKE" to help identify ideas that are popular with a broader community.

Modules I would like to see…

1. Very low current measurement module. (micro-ampere range) I currently have a requirement for something like this to form part of test equipment gear I’m developing. it is to measure how much current a product draws from a small internal battery.

2. High precision high resolution A/D with I2C interface. (About 15 bit resolution would be ideal)

3. Blank prototype boards with just a gadgeteer socket on lots of SMD pads for SOIC and other SMT components so you can easily build up your prototipes with SMT parts.

How do you envisage this working? lots of pads with PTH’s on each one to wire them up?

Since I work more in the Industry Automatisation I mainly work with 24 VDC… sensoric and so on. A “wish module” on my side would be:

• 24 VDC I/O Module +4 Analog i/Os.

That way it could actually replace a SPS.
Chokay, as output there exists already a 16xRelay Module, althought it has an unusual 12V input^^, but thats not a problem. But for inputsignals i found only this . The documentation is not very clear, but i guess it’s 3.3 or 5v Input/Output. So, to use it for bigger machines I need optokopplers on the output and additional Relays/optokopplers on the inputs so I can separate the 5v and 24v … but each of those optokopplers is about 20$. pretty expensive >.<
I can’t say what it needs to make a 24vdc I/O module… it’s anyway just a idea. For me would such a module be great^^ don’t know what others think about that >.>

greez evi

How do you envisage this working? lots of pads with PTH’s on each one to wire them up?
[/quote]
Yes… there would probably be a few variations. But the idea is to provide some ability to make it possible to prototype with SMT and or discrete components without having to make your own PCB first. I have used similar sample prototype boards before and its actually very useful. Quite often all you need is just to use a small IC and a few resistors and caps, so the boards can be quite small in order to keep the costs low.

@ KiwiSaner - ping me an email - justin at ingenuitymicro dot com

@ Justin - Ok. I sent it moments ago.

I have a want (need)…

I want a USB Client DP that has a good thermal heatsink!

Not that the current one is bad. I just sit there wondering when it will meltdown.

All I know is that both of mine run hotter than a firecracker!

I have to use at least 18VDC input in order to obtain (semi) reliable USB deploy form Visual Studio.

Especially when using the CP7 Display with the Spider or the G400HDR.

With the USB Client DP powered from my Lab Power Supply the current is 0.20 Amp. Does not seem like much but the module gets really HOT!

I’d pay a reasonable + price for a cool running power module.

I would think GHI would make one only for the fact of all the modules available today and if most folks are like me they fill every socket!

Thanks for listenin’

Here is a list of mine from awhile ago, some of these modules I have, some I don’t.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=9367

@ willgeorge - with CP7, you need power extender https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/441

I remember there was someone working on a Lego Mindstorms interface module for motors and sensors. I think GHI were sponsoring it but haven’t seen anything yet.
@ Gus did this ever get done?

@ Gus -

I ordered one…

We sent them everything they need! Nothing so far! So this is open for the community to build.

Manny open designs are out there to get you guys started
http://www.wayneandlayne.com/projects/bricktronics-shield/
http://www.tkjelectronics.dk/?p=products&product=nxt-shield

On my module wish-list is a previously stated need, which I assume many of you guys also have.

Build me a state-of-the-art mobile module, supporting 3G (or even 4G) in a simple and straightforward way. So it is possible to get a TCP driven connection with a server.

Existing module from Seeed is lacking in bandwidth, features and driver. It works, but it requires a lot of effort and its not optimal!

I guess there is a huge sales potential in such a module if it is good enough, and just works!

[ul]Which features are missing?
Would you need raw TCP, or HTTP, or other protocols?
Would you be fine with outgoing connections only (i.e., as client), or also need incoming connections (i.e., as server)?
How much throughput would you need?
In which regions of the world would the module have to work?
Would you need audio capabilities as well?
What would be the maximum price that’s acceptable?[/ul]
We might be interested in developing such a module. However, writing a high quality driver is a lot of work, possibly too much to allow for realistic module prices and volumes. Also, a mainboard-independent (i.e., managed) driver might not be able to take advantage of a 3G module’s throughput.

Cuno

Its looks really nice. How difficult is it to wire that up as a Gadgeteer module?

If you have an extender and 9 bits of wire then not very hard at all…

1. Easy setup and configuration. Events. Power Management. A decent driver (AT commands are just PAINFUL)

2. Raw TCP, and HTTP(S) would be fine for most people I think.

3. In AND Out

4. Thinking about Raspi with FEZ Lynx and the G400 board with video-cams on board, a full exploit of the 3G possible bandwidth would be nice. Though I think most people would only use it for a few simple sensor outputs.

5. EU + Norway

6. No

7. $150

Throughput is quite low so ideal only for sending sensor data. They are only quad band.

I use a SIM900B module in my design which is also quad band. Good enough for sensor data but even pulling down a few megabytes of update file takes a good while so these are not ideal for stuff like video etc.

SIMCOM do have a 3G modem but I have yet to re-engineer the PCB for it as there is no drop in replacement.

Saying all that, these units are nice and have a built in TCP/IP stack so you can do some nice telemetry stuff with them until GHI get PPP working with 4.2 (hint hint)

I use PPP with the ChipworkX modules and it works great with the quad band modems. It should in theory work seamlessly with a 3G modem once I get around to making the new board. :slight_smile: